SSD VPS Hosting and Its Advantages
A Solid-State Drive has no moving parts; it stores data into the drive using flash memory. This helps ensure that your drive doesn't overheat, functions faster, and consumes less energy than the HDD.
The Hard Disk Drive or the HDD was used as the default computer storage for many years until the SSD came into limelight. Since then, SSD has made the storage of files more convenient for computer owners.
The implementation of SSD has significantly improved the working of the VPS hosting service. It has led to many advantages and these advantages of SSD include:
- High Performance: Hard disks have very sensitive tiny mechanisms inside them. The movement of the disk during processing makes them vulnerable, and they can break at any point in time. If this break occurs, it can negatively affect an operation. One advantage SSD drives have is that they do not have rotation heads or magnetic disks, hence the absence of these tiny mechanisms like in the HDD. Instead, the data is read directly from the storage area. This makes the rate at which they read and write much higher, hence causing a significant increase in performance as well as a smooth browsing experience for you and your visitors.
- Stability and Reliability: The absence of these tiny mechanisms, moving parts, magnetic coating and so on in the SSD has made it free of distortions. This reduces the possibility of wearing of the storage device. Therefore, its stability is guaranteed as there will be no breaks during operations.
Reliability is another advantage we can't possibly ignore. With the HDD's technology, it is very vulnerable to many physical issues. Even mishandling it in the slightest of manner can cause data loss. With the SSD, the possibility of your drive being damaged is reduced considerably, leading to a significant increase in reliability.
- Speed: When using HDD in your webhosting, its disk spins, and the magnet head locates the necessary information to load your site. This takes a little more time which may be insignificant for small tasks, but when you want to do a costly web-based task, there will be a huge difference. SSD, on the other hand, uses flash memory to store its data. This technology makes it almost four times faster than HDD. With this, the time it uses to read/write, respond, transfer files, and perform other tasks is lessened. Also, it takes only 10-13 seconds to boost an SSD.
- Environmental friendly: As our requirements in technology grows, so will our need to use energy more efficiently. We will also need to ensure that power is used in the right places and not wasted. With an HDD, more power is consumed and much heat is given off. The amount of heat that is given off requires large cooling systems to keep your server going. With the SSD, however, the amount of energy needed is only about one-fifth of what is required with HDD. Also, the heat it gives off is far less than HDD, making it very environmentally friendly. With the SSD, you don't need all those large cooling systems anymore, which can also help you save cost.
- Better for business: Google has established webpage loading speed as one of its ranking factors. The better speed, stability, and reliability that SSDs offer will enable faster loading for webpages and contents, increasing your customers' satisfaction. With more speed, you will get more customers for being well ranked by google, satisfy your customers better and even have a wonderful experience managing your server.
VPS Web Hosting Overview
With the world experiencing regular technological advancements, everything concerning digitization is becoming more and more important. The Internet especially is now vital and has had a significant impact on humanity. It is used for virtually anything. This has led to a substantial increase in the number of internet users as well as websites. Every day, many websites are visited by users, causing individuals, most especially business owners, to turn their interest to the Internet.
Websites are being owned by several people from time to time, and these owners are always looking for ways to carry out the management of their sites conveniently. In this light, VPS web hosting has turned out very important. Aside from being very important to people using webhosting, learning about the VPS alone can also be a beneficial knowledge to everyone else.
A VPS, short for Virtual Private Server, is basically just an independent portion or partition of a physical server. The easiest way of looking at a VPS is when a physical server is divided into multiple virtual portions by web hosting companies; a VPS is just one of this portion. Each VPS, however, has its own independent files and resources. This server or part is a computer on which your website host stores the required files, resources, and databases which are needed to effectively and conveniently manage your website.
VPS web hosting provides you with a virtual server to stimulate a physical server but is shared among several users. The environment you're given operates like a virtualized OS and behaves just like a dedicated server but is shared among several users. You can see VPS hosting as what you get when a hosting provider uses virtualization to install a virtual layer on the server's OS, which then divides the server into portions and assign owners to each portion. The owners receive independent resources and can install their OS and software.
The complex technology a Virtual Private Server uses is Virtualization, which is made possible through a hypervisor. A hypervisor is a computer hardware, software, or firmware that creates and runs Virtual Machines (VMs) by allowing it to operate directly on underlying hardware instead of via emulation. The underlying physical hardware is then separated from the computer's OS and apps.
The computer system with the hypervisor running on it is called the host machine, while each of the Virtual Machines is called a guest machine. The hypervisor makes available virtual operating system services to the guest machines or the websites using a VPS. The services provided by the hypervisor include making use of computer resources (memory space, processors, bandwidth etc.) to manage and execute the guest operating systems. Because of this, the hypervisor is also known as the virtual machine monitor.
Virtual Private Server hosting and the hypervisor are closely related to each other. They work hand in hand. The hypervisor takes the physical server's resources and distributes them equally to all the websites on it. Websites also use it to gain access to the virtual machine. After the distribution, the server software is installed on the partitions and is finally rented out to users to operate independently. Each unit is known as a container and the server it is contained in is known as the node.
The VPS is one of the best web hosting as it combines the best attributes of shared hosting and dedicated server hosting. It gives you control and independence as well as other significant benefits like a dedicated server but is very affordable, like shared hosting. It is like a bridge between the gap between the two hosting options.
When you operate on a VPS, you are responsible for setting up the server and managing it, unless you are running on a managed hosting service. The hosting service is not only virtual but private as well since you are given complete control. Although you are given full control, running a VPS on your own requires a level of technical know-how. You are required to have a certain level of expertise to handle the management by yourself. You need special skills to conveniently handle security challenges, server configuration, software updates etc. Because of this, VPS hosting services are usually offered in two options – managed VPS hosting and unmanaged VPS hosting.
In the managed VPS hosting, you are assisted in the handling and managing of your server. Your hosting provider helps in performing some tasks. In unmanaged, however, you are left with the sole responsibility of handling everything on your own. You decide which option to go for depending on your requirements. Whatever option you go for, the major advantages or benefits of VPS hosting remains the same. Below are some of these benefits:
- High performance
- Improved security
- Good scalability
- Root access etc.
The Essentials of VPS Hosting
VPS web hosting is crucial to website owners, but not every hosting company offers the same service quality. VPSs offer a wide range of benefits, but it has some essential services which stand out as the most important. The essentials of VPS hosting include:
- Disk Space: The amount of disk space any web hosting service has is very important. This refers to the limit or amount of storage where you can store your website files or data. The more disk space you have, the better you can carry out your web hosting activities conveniently. VPS hosting usually gives enough disk space, but it varies depending on the provider. Hence, it is imperative that you check out this feature and ensure it is enough for your activities before choosing a VPS hosting service.
- Bandwidth: Bandwidth is the amount of data that your website is allowed by the VPS hosting to send and receive over the Internet. Both disk space and bandwidth are measured in gigabytes. A fixed connection speed is usually given monthly, allowing the webhost to check the connection speed of each of their clients so they can offer them the best rate according to their businesses.
Bandwidth is essential for VPS hosting. If in good quantity, it ensures you use your website without delays. An insufficient bandwidth quantity can make you experience delay or even difficulty when trying to open your website, especially when other sites on the server starts getting more traffic than you. With very low bandwidth limits, your website might even become unavailable or blocked which may negatively affect your business.
- Security and Privacy: This is one essential feature many people tend to leave out. Although many VPS hosting providers don't even remember to mention the security features they offer. VPS hosting offers one of the best security in webhosting. It gives you a dedicated IP address, provides maximum protection for your emails and e-commerce, and is also well protected from viruses and malware. Virtual Private Servers, as the name implies, are also very private. Your privacy is guaranteed at all times, meaning you can carry out your activities with peace of mind.
- Backups: The VPS hosting offers you the chance to backup your data daily. This is very important because should anything go wrong; you can quickly restore all your data at any point in time. Without backup, losing your data to a crash can be very costly to you or your business. Therefore, this feature is essential in VPS hosting.
- Support: With VPS hosting, you can contact your hosting company whenever you run into trouble or need assistance. This is one very essential feature of VPS hosting. The absence of this feature can also lead to much trouble for you. Most VPS hosting has different support services to communicate and get assistance from technical support staff. These services include one or more of live chat, telephone, and email.