Our world is filled with various web hosting options. Among all the hosting options, VPS hosting stands out as a popular choice for site owners. It is recommended that site owners with high traffic influx get VPS hosting to help maintain site speed.
Millions of VPS hosting providers are out there; each has prices and unique features that make them ideal for target users. The wealth of options can make selecting quite tricky; don’t worry, we are here to help.
What is VPS Hosting?
There are hundreds of web hosting providers in the market. Some of them offer shared hosting plans, others dedicated hosting, and yet others, VPS hosting plans. Most rookie business owners start with shared hosting, and at the start, it works just fine. However, as your incoming traffic keeps increasing, you find out that your site begins to lag.
At this point, we advise you to opt for VPS hosting, but what exactly is VPS hosting? VPS is short for virtual private servers; it offers you just the right mix of the shared and dedicated hosting system. VPS hosting gives users access to servers that share the same physical server.
Each user has server resources allocated to them thanks to the use of a hypervisor. The allocation of server resources is done such that users do not have to compete for server resources. At any point, you can decide to upscale your resources to match your ever-growing site needs.
What are the Best VPS Hosting of 2021?
Do we need to mention that, like airlines, there are numerous VPS hosting providers? However, not all of them provide you with useful features or are even reliable. Thus, sorting for a great one amidst the others can be quite like looking for a needle in the haystack.
We have put together a list of our top 7 VPS hosting providers in the UK for 2021.
BlueHost is our favorite VPS web hosting provider; thus, it is no surprise that they are on our top VPS hosting providers list. BlueHost is an excellent choice for both newbies to the eCommerce business and others looking to upgrade to a better hosting option. It offers you rich features at affordable prices, features that you won’t get with similarly priced VPS providers.
Bluehost VPS hosting plans start at $18.99 per month only for dual CPU cores, 2 GB of RAM, 30 GB of SSD storage space, and 1 TB of bandwidth. Every plan comes with tons of features; however, you will have to pay for domain protection and privately separately. We have listed a few of these features below.
- You get one free domain name valid for the entire first year.
- Root access using the cPanel and 30-day moneyback guarantee.
- Free SSL certificates and KVM and OpenStack open-source technology
- Immediate provisioning for instant server activation
- Guaranteed resource availability
- Dynamic resources equipped to handle traffic spikes.
- Multi-server management capabilities and advanced file management features
2. Hostinger VPS
Hostinger is well-known for its unbeatable shared hosting plans offered at affordable prices. However, that is not why Hostinger is on our list; the reason is more because they provide great features for budget-conscious users on the lookout for a semi-managed VPS solution.
With the semi-managed VPS plan, you have time to focus on handling other aspects of your website. Hosting, on the other hand, takes everything associated with server management and like issues. In addition to this, you also enjoy more flexibility and dedicated resources at really ridiculous prices.
The plans start at as little as $3.95 monthly. We must warn you, however, that those plans offer you limited resources. Thus, it may be great to consider the Hostingers’ second-tier plan; this plan is priced at $8.95. Let’s look at an overview of the top features Hostinger offers you.
- A dedicated IP address replete with a 30-day moneyback guarantee
- OS installer and Easy Web Script
- Efficient data backups coupled with RAID protection.
- An easy-to-use control panel and total root access
HostGator has been around for almost two decades and is one of the trusted names in VPS web hosting. They are great for gaming, eCommerce sites, and sites that use heavy applications. All HostGator VPS plans come complete with root access to the server. Thus, you can customize your virtual server environment. Some of the features are:
- Total control and customization of the server
- Free weekly off-site backups of server data.
- Scalability of server resources.
- Unlimited domains, databases, email addresses, and FTP accounts.
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
InMotion is one of our favorite VPS for eCommerce websites. They offer you several plans to choose from; some managed, some self-managed. All the plans make use of SSD Linux servers. Managed plans start at a monthly fee of $29.99 while self-managed VPS plans cost upwards of $5 per month.
Features of InMotion VPS include:
- Free SSLs and snapshots
- cPanel access to email, domain settings, and databases
- Top security updates and high server uptime
- Reliability and speed thanks to its use of
- 90-day money-back guarantee
GoDaddy has made a name for itself as a great self-hosting VPS provider. The standard plans for GoDaddy start at $4.99 monthly. The self-managed plans are a top favorite for system administrators and developers. The features offered by GoDaddy VPS plans have been listed below.
- Complete root access command line and SSH keys
- Flexibility and scalability
- Access to unlimited hosting accounts
- Easy alert notifications and better customer support.
- Improved security and DDoS protection
- Backups and recovery console
6. Media Temple
Media Temple offers eCommerce sites, resellers, and agencies great managed VPS plans. They take care of the entire process of managing your server, leaving you with enough time to face other aspects. The plans are fast, reliable, and offer you excellent server performance. Some features of Media Temple are:
- Choice of control panel and the version
- Already install apps like PHP, MySQL, Perl, and Python.
- Easy of customization and scalability.
- VPS reseller option with high uptime
While InterServer is not as popular as the others we have listed, it is a cost-effective VPS option. For $6 monthly, you can get access to some of the most basic features. Let us take a closer look at the features of InterServer VPS.
- Offers one-click install for over 45o cloud applications
- Total root access and control of your control panel and OS
- Redundancy and high server uptime
- Remote data backup to ensure data security
- Improved security
How to Choose the Best VPS Hosting Provider for Your Business?
Although the web hosting providers’ list is very long, only a handful of dependable hosting providers. The list even gets shorter when it comes to VPS hosting. Many people looking for a VPS provider are looking to upgrade from shared hosting because they have outgrown it.
Now, we have provided you a list of our top 7 VPS hosting providers of 2021. However, the task of selecting the best VPS provider for your business can be challenging. To help, we have arranged this list of factors you must consider helping you pick out the VPS provider with features that best suit your business. Let’s take a moment to walk through these factors and expose why they are essential.
- Site Performance Metrics – Your site performance should be your top priority while looking for a VPS hosting plan. The term performance is subjective. However, there are two critical metrics used to determine VPS performance. They are uptime and speed.
Uptime and speed are among the first things to suffer when using a shared hosting plan you have outgrown. To select the best VPS plan, you must make sure it can accommodate your traffic influx while still giving you guaranteed uptime.
Now, what is a VPS without the speed? You must ensure that your intended VPS can provide your site with a top speed. You cannot afford any downtime or low loading time because they drive up your bounce rate.
- Dedicated Resources - Technically speaking, any VPS provider you choose still involves sharing server resources with other sites on the physical server. However, one thing is that the number of servers on the central server you share is less than those of the shared hosting.
Now you are aware that each VPS user has dedicated resources allocated to them, and all these resources must be considered in selecting a VPS provider. The resources to consider are RAM, CPU, bandwidth, and storage. These resources impact your uptime and site speed directly; after all, if you are maxing out all your resources, you don’t expect your site to function optimally.
- Root Access – The truth is that it is not everyone that requires root access. While root access may not matter for inexperienced users, it is crucial for developers. You will also need root access to make changes to your server.
Not everyone needs root access. This feature only really matters if you’re a developer or need the ability to make custom changes to your virtual server at an advanced level. If this is true, then the best VPS for you would be a self-managed VPS.
However, if you have no technical knowledge of managing a VPS, then there is no need for you to get a VPS hosting with root access. On the other hand, a few VPS hosting providers offer fully managed VPS plans with root access. You can opt for these if you so desire.
- Operating System – When choosing a VPS system, you must carefully consider the operating system you prefer. You can either choose the Windows VPS or Linux VPS system. With a Windows-based VPS system, you have access to excellent performance similar to those offered by the dedicated server. If you end up selecting a self-managed plan, you will be able to install popular Windows applications and databases such as ASP, Microsoft SQL, ASP.NET, and SharePoint.
Selecting a Linux VPS offers you support for popular web applications like MySQL, PHP, and POP3. Since Linux operating system is open-source, Linux VPS plans are very cost-effective. You can even convert your Linux VPS to Windows VPS. However, the same cannot be said of Windows VPS as it can prove complex.
- Customer Service – When selecting a VPS provider, you must ensure the provider has got your back. You need to be sure that if anything goes wrong, you have someone to walk you through the steps to solving the problem. Choose one that has a dedicated customer support team on standby to always tend to your queries.
You need to know that should your site crash in the morning; you won’t have to wait for so long to get support. Thus, you need to select a provider that offers you round the clock support all year round. Other features such as free migration also fall under VPS support, and some are better than others where support is concerned.
- Budget – Like every other thing in the market, you get what you pay for. Now you can’t go off expecting that the cheapest VPS provider to offer you the best of features. However, this is not to say that the best VPS servers are the most expensive.
You should choose a VPS provider that offers you the features you need and is within your price range. VPS plans’ price differs across the various providers; some may be priced as low as $5 and others $250 monthly. If you want to enjoy premium VPS features at the end of the day, you may have to pay a little bit extra for it. So we advise that you weigh your site resource and performance needs against your set budget.
Starting off your business, shared hosting plans may have been sufficient for your business needs. However, as your business grows, so does your traffic influx; at some point, shared hosting is unable to match your incoming traffic. If you are at this stage already where your site has outgrown the hosting resource capacity, we advise that you switch to VPS hosting. Some great VPS providers in the UK are InMotion, GoDaddy, Hostinger, BlueHost, etc.
Learn more :