The adoption of Virtual Private Servers (VPS) Hosting Cloud solutions has been on an upward trend. As consumer habits tilt toward online views, orders, payments, and downloads, businesses have to ensure they have a vibrant online presence. One way to achieve this is via VPS hosting.
We will walk you through selecting a VPS Hosting Cloud Service. We will also provide information on how you can set up your domain name, VPS Cloud Host, and provide the VPS service as a business.
What is VPS Hosting Cloud?
VPS Hosting Cloud is a cluster of multiple virtual private servers interconnected with shared networking and storage devices. It is available 24hrs, and can be accessed via the internet. You can access it via on-demand or monthly subscription fee models.
Features like shared tenancy or dedicated tenancy, redundancy or disaster recovery, etc are common with this service. Consumers’ experience of internet-related products is hinged on availability, uptime, and fast website load speeds. The customization, scalability, redundancy, and cost become the deciding factor in which VPS hosting cloud service provider you choose.
Why do I Need VPS Hosting Cloud?
There are several reasons to choose a VPS Hosting Cloud solution via which information about yourself, your business, or your event will become easily accessible. Some of the reasons are:
- Cost Reduction - The cost of purchasing a server, electricity, cybersecurity apparatus, technical personnel for installation etc., will set you back. Not to talk of owning a dedicated server farm for high volume transactions which runs into billions of dollars. Instead, it makes sense to patronize a VPS Hosting Cloud provider.
A VPS cloud hosting provider offers you many more features on an on-demand per hour or monthly subscription fee basis. Promotions are usually done where “Hosting Credit” can be won or bills waived.
- Productivity - Productivity is boosted when the small stuff is taken care of. Thus, we advise that you invest in VPS cloud hosting.
- Availability - The Product you put online becomes readily available and does NOT need to take a break like regular 9 – 5. Global time difference becomes a thing of the past.
- Reach and Accessibility - A product hosted online is globally accessible. In many instances, your client will choose your business and repeat transactions if easy access is offered.
- Broader Clientele - If your business is globally accessible, your clientele will be broader and larger. You can tailor special offerings to any particular set of persons.
- Credibility - A business or information hosted online is, by default, perceived to be credible and is usually taken more seriously than that on a piece of paper. Most corporate pencil-pushers have personal websites displaying their curriculum vitae and portfolio. The links to these websites are usually given out to potential employers and clients. It’s a “business card” that never gets lost.
- Uptime - You can expect uptime to be near 100% in much the same way you expect a bank’s ATM to be up and running and dispensing cash.
- Redundancy - If the service fails, it never lasts long as another server takes over from the one that failed. A data center run by the popular VPS Hosting Cloud companies, e.g., AWS, Digital Ocean, Linode, etc., is not likely to crash. The reliability comes from the fact that huge sums for round-the-clock maintenance are expended.
- Customization - On offer is a myriad of features from which you can choose from; RAM, Hard disk size, CPU, Server location, shared or dedicated tenancy. You should be able to upscale in bandwidth should the demand arise.
- Scalability - One can pay for architecture small and affordable to serve a business at inception and upgrade as the business grows.
- Cybersecurity - Many of the VPS Hosting Cloud Services have systems that warn the Customer when the server is being attacked free of charge. However, some extra security features are on offer to the Customer for purchase.
- Multi-tasking - The high-performance servers on VPS Hosting Cloud Services can attend to hundreds, thousands of Customers simultaneously. For this, the bandwidth should be optimal. Multi-tasking translates to a stellar user experience, customer conversion, and more credibility and money in the bank.
- Technical Support - Should you run into any difficulty, VPS Technical Support Teams can guide you through free of charge.
- Easy Setup via Click - To cater to Customers with a knowledge gap in basic IT services, many of these VPS cloud hosting Companies have User interfaces. These user-friendly interfaces are intuitive and easy to navigate. The easy set up ensures that you can set up a VPS host with a button’s click. Alternatively, you could hire a DevOps Engineer for a reasonable fee to assist.
- Availability on Popular Operating Systems - The VPS Hosting Cloud services are available on both Windows or Linux Servers; hence you have the freedom to choose your preferred OS.
- Health Safety - The COVID-19 pandemic has necessitated social distancing and ambulatory restriction. However, with VPS cloud Hosting solutions, you can keep safe, run your business, and still be competitive.
I want to reiterate that you do need VPS Hosting Cloud Services; however, should the knowledge gap be overwhelming to bridge, please hire the services of a DevOps Engineer for a reasonable fee.
What VPS Hosting Cloud Providers Can I Use?
The popular providers are Amazon (AWS), GoDaddy, Wix, VMWare, dinCloud, HostGator, Digital Ocean, Linode, etc. Search on the internet to find any of your preferred providers and open an account with an email and password. Please note that you’ll need a debit or credit card handy from which a 1dollar ($1) fee is usually charged to complete your registration.
On registration, you are prompted to select your preferred service, ranging from domain purchase, email hosting to server purchase. A practical step to save cost is to look at several providers to gauge which service is cheaper. You do not have to purchase all your needs from one provider. You can opt for better deals from different providers, and all services procured will often work seamlessly in so far as the DNS is properly set.
Here’s a free tip for newbies who want to display a few static pages and aspiring DevOps Engineers looking to practice. Go for AWS on which for first-time users, there is no charge for 750hrs monthly on the t2. Micro EC2 Linux instance, for a duration of 12months. The server’s RAM is capped at 1GB, CPU at 1core, disk size anywhere from 8GB to 32GB.
If you can’t be bothered with the technicalities or customization, you may decide to use Wix.
How do I Start Cloud VPS Hosting?
Starting is quite easy. It would help if you did the following:
- Domain - You need to purchase a Domain Name. The domain name is a unique string that identifies a specific website. An example is vpsserver.com. The domain is .com
- Server Instance - After purchasing a domain, the next step is to purchase your VPS (server), which comes with different specs – Operating System, RAM, Disk Size, CPU speed, Security Group, and Access list, shared or dedicated tenancy, PEM key, SSH key or Username and password for login. The provider automatically assigns your VPS a public and private IP address. Some providers like NameCheap and GoDaddy have click features to upload your static page to the site.
There are several domains available, e.g .com.ng, .edu, .io e.t.c. Think of domain names as the name of the street in your house address you give a friend intending to visit. The domain name is a link to the IP address, so it must be assigned to an IP address. A domain name can be valid for as long as a year or two.
- IP Address - Shortly after purchasing a domain name, you will have to pay for hosting. On doing so, you are assigned a VPS on the cloud identified by a publicly accessible address number – IP Address (Internet Protocol Address). Think of it like the number of your house in the address you give a friend intending to visit. To any given LAN or wireless interface, there is an IPv4 and Ipv6 Address.
- DNS - This stands for Domain Name Server. Try to locate it on your dashboard. It is here you assign your domain name to your public IP address.
- A Record - This field is where you put your public ipv4 address, e.g., 10.19.9.43, and just beside it, the domain name. This way, the IP address corresponds to your domain and its subdomains.
- CNAME Record - In this field, you input subdomains of your main domain, e.g., www.vpsserver.com, ftp.vpsserver.com e.t.c
- MX Record - In this field, you input a string provided by your mail hosting provider where your domain’s emails should be delivered.
- TXT - This is given out by the email hosting provider and used for storing string information related to your domain. Most commonly used to store SPF data.
- SPF - This is a mail validation protocol used to prevent email spamming or spoofing.
- AAAA - it maps a domain name to the IP address (IPv6) e.g fe80::f174:dfa4:a30d:2cb9 of the computer hosting the domain.
- SRV - This means Service Record, and it refers to not only an IP address but also a port.
- NS - It stands for Name Servers. They are servers that handle queries or questions from your local PC about a domain name’s varied services location.
- Web Developers/DevOps Personnel - If you’re not a web developer, you can hire one to build your website and pages. You typically need to hire a frontend developer (handles page UI/UX, i.e., look and feel) and a backend developer (handles the logic behind the site). You will also need a DevOps Engineer for hosting, automation, and auto-deployment of the codes written by the developers mentioned above.
- SSL Certificate – SSL Cert is a cryptograhic key that encrypts the link between a VPS host and a browser. This link ensures that all data packets passing between the web server and browser remain private.
How to Put a Domain on VPS Hosting Cloud
On the dashboard where you purchased your domain, locate the DNS tab. Click to go to the DNS table where you see A, CNAME, MX records e.t.c.
Input your public ipv4 address in A record field, any subdomains in the CNAME record field and save. MX record may already be there, and other predefined fields which you can ignore. Wait a few minutes and test your domain name on a browser that should display the homepage of your website you’ve uploaded.
Some service providers may take up to 30mins or more for a domain name and IP address assignation to go live.
Interested in How to Provide VPS Hosting Cloud?
So far, we discussed VPS Hosting Cloud from the perspective of a consumer. We are yet to discuss the entrepreneurial aspect and whether it is a good venture.
The reseller market is a thriving part of VPS Hosting Cloud. As an Entrepreneur, you can liaise with Reseller companies like NameHero (WHMCS) and VPS.NET at discounted rates. Resellers will also include a called White labelling – an act of renaming the service to be resold to your preference.
Also on offer is gigabit bandwidth, unlimited Domains, custom server template. You also get customizable control panel, free billing software integration, free SSL Certificate, Automation, and 24hr Customer Support. All of these can easily be set up on your computer.
Is the Business of Reselling the VPS Hosting Cloud Profitable in the US?
Absolutely. Simply identify your target market, promote your services and offer mouth-watering rates and discounts. Of course, running a business can be challenging, but with funding, tenacity, a clever marketing plan, and some technical expertise, victory is assured.
The myriad benefits of VPS hosting cloud solutions to the consumer and entrepreneur cannot be overemphasized. If you are desirous of remaining productive, competitive, accessible, and profitable, then overcome that hesitance and signup for a VPS hosting cloud option today.