VPS works by providing an environment that shares particular resources from a parent server to provide users with a dedicated environment by using virtualization for hosting their web. It can be an individual server existing as a programmed software that runs or is packed on a parent server.
Cloud computing is the process of using different remote servers connected through the internet to manage, store and, process data and information instead of making use of the conventional server or desktop. The whole idea of adopting cloud computing is to provide a remote environment that eliminates the need for physical resources for storage, resource management, and data processing.
Cloud hosting is different from standard traditional web hosting. Cloud hosting uses cloud servers that host websites over different servers, unlike the virtual private server that hosts a website on a single server. Cloud VPS hosting makes your website exist across different servers and is accessed via the internet. It exists as a virtual host that provides load balancing, gives large availability capacities, and offers shared resources to users.
What is Cloud VPS?
Cloud VPS hosting generally uses cloud computing solutions as virtual machines to provide an interface for hosting and running websites. In cloud VPS, servers are provided as instances. This virtual environment in the cloud or virtual machines is highly scalable. When your websites' resources become more extensive, the server will auto-scale to accommodate your increased resources.
Cloud VPS is a computing solution that offers virtualization to you as a service. With a cloud VPS, you do not need to move your data to different servers when the server's workload is too much because of its auto scalability. It provision resources used for hosting in minutes with speed, giving almost immediate access to servers that are just created. It is pocket friendly as you are only allowed to pay for the service employed in hosting your website.
Cloud VPS has the following advantages;
- Cloud VPS can Autoscale: liquid web refers to cloud VPS scaling procedures as resizing. This causes an increase or a decrease in your server resources, depending on the site and your application needs. There are two forms of resizing; the Quick resize, in which the RAM and CPU provided can be increased or decreased to suit your needs, and the Full resizes, in which the whole server resources are either scaled up or down depending on the client needs.
- Cloud VPS provides Quota Pricing:this is a method of choosing the highest amount of backup storage capacity you need, and you are charged a monthly quota rate selected.
- Cloud VPS offers a pay as you go model: using cloud VPS, unlike other VPS service that charges with a fixed price, whether you use all the resource provided or not, cloud VPS only charges you for the services you employ.
- Cloud VPS helps in server Management: our cloud VPS helps clients manage their server by updating the client's server's real-time dashboard. This helps to show resource consumption at intervals. When there is a traffic surge, it scales up automatically to accommodate the server expansion hence preventing downtime in the server and keeping the server updated.
- Cloud VPS helps to ensure image Backup: Cloud VPS can get a snapshot of servers like a clone of the server, and this image or snapshot is used to effortlessly create backups of the server or create new servers from the ones that are existing before.
Which is better, VPS, or Cloud?
The virtual private server (VPS) has been defined and viewed as the hosting service that helps internet businesses host websites to make their sites available in a virtualized environment. It does so at an affordable cost and enjoys optimum and robust remote access, security, and uptime keep of the website. By having applications that are isolated and programs that are isolated only for you in a virtual server, VPS ensures and offers a great deal of control, privacy and also gives security.
Although VPS offers these services and allows many different operating systems and different programs/applications to be hosted on a single server, it has issues with auto-scaling and increasing allocated resources when the need arises.
On the other hand, Cloud VPS hosting provides hosting services that are wholly virtualized, with uptime and available on-demand servers, with astonishing speed. It is similar to owning a much larger hosting ecosystem or server that allows you to either scale up, which adds more space, more ram, and processor. It could even get a clone of your private server in case of backup needs or scale down when the resources initially allocated are more than what is required. There is a need to remove the infrastructures that are not needed for hosting your web.
Though cloud VPS hosting and virtual private server are not mutually exclusive, the following characteristics are worthy of note about the two.
VPS Hosting offers a specific amount of performance because only an agreed number of resources is offered to your virtual server. However, when there is a need to scale up because of the increased workload from your server or when another server on the same physical parent server uses more extensive resources on the same host. Simultaneously, with your server, or when your server requires more resources than the parent server can afford, there might be a high degree of impact on the performance of the parent server and may cause it to malfunction.
VPS can also have failure problems since the parent server is located in a physical location; if anything happens to the parent server like a glitch or a technical failure, all other virtual private servers hosted on the parent machine will also fail.
Cloud VPS hosting gives assurance of optimum availability, high performance, and uptime due to the numerous servers in a redundant machine or system. As a result, when there is a failure in one of the numerous servers, all the files and resources available in the failed server will be immediately moved to another server without causing downtime. When there is a need to scale and expand, cloud hosting will allocate more RAM, processor, and CPU to suit your needs without causing an impact on the network of the other users. Cloud VPS hosting is recommended for a website that has wide traffic fluctuations.
VPS hosting security is almost not in agreement when it comes to dedicated hosting. Although the VPS does not depend on any other VPS on the same parent server, its existence is in the form of a separate machine. If one VPS user on the same parent server executes inadequate security measures, these low-security measures could affect every other VPS hosted on the same parent server.
However, the chances of this occurrence in shared hosting is minimal. Because of the host server's existence in a centralized place, more security is assured to critical data operations whose site should be known and restricted so that monitoring can be carried out to ensure compliance with secured data regulations.
Cloud VPS hosting offers a great deal of security because each server is completely isolated from other client servers, as with what is done with a VPS. Because cloud VPS hosting is web-based, it may cause its services and infrastructure to be prone to attacks due to its physical distribution and difficulty securing it. Also, because the data are stored in many different locations, it may be challenging to comply with some data security regulations.
VPS hosting has the same or similar customization with dedicated server customization. Here you are given total root access control over the operating system, including the programmed software and websites. Hence customization and configuration can be done to suit your taste and needs. But in VPS hosting, each parent server only uses one type of operating system at a time. Hence there is a limitation on the type of operating system you want if the virtual private server you want to use only operates one type of hosting server.
On the other hand, Cloud VPS allows clients to use the type of operating system they want, whether Windows or Linux. It also gives room to make changes or customization to firewalls, change network architecture, carry out load balancing, and tweak IP addresses. Because of the numerous server, the need to carry out functioning distribution through the various servers can reduce control on a few hosting configurations.
VPS hosting only permits a minimal amount of scalability, and this amount of scalability is dependent on the amount the physical parent server can permit. Although some VPS hosting comes with an added amount of RAM and CPU, more generous than what is provisioned on your virtual machine, this scale is only dependent on the size amount and capacity the physical host delivers. Hence there is a limitation in scaling. So when your resources become more extensive than the server you are provided with, you will have to subscribe to another plan to scale, resulting in downtime during migration.
Cloud VPS hosting, on the other hand, offers a very high amount of scalability in real-time. Cloud hosting gives unlimited data storage; this helps increase all the needed capacities to your server when there is a traffic surge in your website. It also makes available endless and almost seamless processing capacities.
VPS costing is relatively less expensive compared to a cloud server. VPS hosting deals with a fixed number of resources and an agreed amount of scalability that is provided. As a result, a predicted price is attached based on the resource needed and the quality of the resource needed and dependent on the service providers of the hosting servers, their support plans, and their management plans.
Cloud VPS hosting would be expected to be more expensive than regular VPS hosting because of all its advantages over standard VPS hosting. The pricing covers the many network complexes to the numerous hardware and the uptime keep of the services. Cloud VPS billing is like that of utility providers; for example; electricity providers ensure you pay for resources you use in their pay as you go model. Pricing in cloud VPS can be unpredictable, especially when there is a spike in your server's traffic.
Is Cloud VPS safe?
Cloud VPS comes with an advanced security level that helps to mitigate against; malware, DDos, or hacking. This means that the cloud VPS provider helps ensure that the server infrastructure they provide is safe from attacks. Cloud VPS also provides resources for ensuring added security measures on the server; these measures can be implemented effortlessly with speed. They include
- Automatic Security updates: The different advancements in technologies, new means, and methods of creating a problem for the cloud servers are born daily. As a result, the cloud VPS services provider continually updates their security measures to mitigate against these new technologies that may cause harm to a cloud server. When these security methods are designed, it is essential for the clients to always implement these updates on their servers. This updates process can be automated by carrying out specific configurations, telling your machine to always auto-update whenever updates are available. Thus, helping to reduce or eliminate downtimes.
- Disabling administrator's account: The cloud VPS providers own administrator's accounts. Hence an attack on their account will cause a disruption of parts or all the services they render; their accounts are usually hacker’s targets. So, disabling their access from your server can to a Great deal save your websites when there is an attack.
- Creating and using encrypted keys.
- Constant backups.
- You can enable multi-factor authentication, amongst others.
Generally, the best VPS solution to adopt depends solely on a hosting provider's infrastructure and services. While VPS offers services by providing virtualization and remote access from any location in the world and giving a good deal of security to its resources, auto-scaling is its major constraint because the services are definite depending on the agreement the client enters with the provider.
On the other hand, Cloud VPS gives complete virtualization with many server hosting and provisioning resources for hosting the website and allows for scaling, which is its significant advantage over VPS hosting. Our cloud VPS hosting provides these services and helps in simplifying ways to set up a cloud VPS.
Learn more :