Amazon Web Services (AWS) is amongst the top cloud Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) provider today. It is an example of an advanced set of computer-based services offered by Amazon.
Amazon has had rapid growth over the years to become a giant internet service provider of off-premise server hosting. This has been done by providing Amazon VPS hosting in the form of EC2 server and other Amazon VPS hosting servers to host websites and provide scalability and virtualization infrastructure.
AWS is a cloud computing platform that gives entrepreneurs room to empower their business resources and become more agile in it.
What does AWS entail?
AWS is an off-premise on-demand cloud computing program that gives access to an enormous scale data center without you having to design your physical server.
It encompasses hundreds of cloud computing services. As of February 2020, it offered more than 200 AWS products and hosting services, with more products expected to be launched throughout the year.
Although we cannot exhaust the lists of services amazon web service providers, some of the unique AWS products are:
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3). It provides a computer data storage framework that helps manage data as objects, enabling Amazon S3 to be ideal for backup and recovery, data archiving, and hybrid cloud storage.
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). Gives access to virtual, small groups of computers that come with pre-loaded application software, including servers and databases.
- AWS Lambda. This is a computing platform that is serverless, event-driven and is designed for building applications that are on-demand in response to specific events.
What is a VPS?
Virtual Private Server (VPS) adds features of shared and dedicated hosting, designed for those whose sites have outgrown the limits associated with shared hosting services. It uses a virtual machine monitor to partition a single server into multiple independent spaces, or virtual machines, each with its operating system and infrastructure. Although individual VPS host on the server functions independently, it receives access to a part of the server's shared resources, distributed across the sites using that specific server.
So, doing, virtual private server hosting permits users to configure and manage their sites individually, as with a dedicated server, but at a much lower cost. In the amazon VPS hosting environment, users can enjoy total control over almost all aspects of a website’s features and functions, with much better performance and scalability than shared hosting.
VPS hosting, the service provider, is responsible for carrying out servers, carrying out an upgrade of server software, and managing its core resources. But users can carry out all other aspects of configuring and manage their sites.
Amazon VPS Hosting
AWS offers a series of service that provides a Virtual Private Server in the form of micro instances at zero cost for one year. AWS also gives enough time to run the VPS. However, when users require more services, they can create more micro instances and run them simultaneously.
Amazon Web Service comprises several cloud hosting services that comprise more than the traditional web hosting guide. Presently, many popular websites like Reddit, Dropbox, etc., make use of Amazon hosting VPS to scale their businesses.
Even when there is trouble with the speed in loading or navigating through your web pages, it will not allow your website to stop running. This it does by keeping you online, and the only difference may be a reduction in capacity. The traditional hosting interface gives 404 error messages under low speed, however, Amazon EC2 server keeps running, creating a continuous revenue generation for the website.
Amazon VPS hosting is high-speed and reliable in its deployment. Where other conventional hosting services may take up 48-96 hours to deploy a server on the cloud, the AWS server takes minutes to be deployed. The reason for this efficiency can be traced to AMI (Amazon Machine Images).
Another importance of Amazon VPS hosting is the security that is assured, which satisfies compliance requirements and ensures your data is kept safe.
The most common form of AWS VPS is the EC2 and LightSail, which can be accessed using an instance (EC2 instance or LightSail instance).
What is Aws Ec2?
EC2 is an AWS service that offers compute capacities in the cloud. Like a server, an EC2 instance consists of resources like a CPU, an operating system, local storage, RAM, etc. With EC2, Amazon Machine Image (AMI) that’s secure can quickly be built; it is precisely what you need and is available in minutes.
EC2 is synonymous with amazon VPS hosting services; it offers virtualization to websites hosted on it. It helps to spin up resources when the previously allocated is not enough for the workload.
Those server images are referred to as instances. When one of the instances is spin up, you choose the instance type, then launch the particular number of instances you need. This can be done manually, from the Management Console, or programmatically.
Clusters of the server can be deployed immediately after selecting your instance type and the OS you want to use. To create an EC2 instance, you can use three methods which include:
- Compute Optimized method –this method is good for instances requiring high rates of request and leveraging on industry-leading processors.
- Memory-Optimized method – These are instances that offer the best memory cost and pricing.
- Storage optimized method– These instances can be used to gain access to SSD storage quickly to serve requests for data retrieval.
What is AWS LightSail?
This is another form of VPS within the AWS Cloud. You can use the LightSail instances to run your code, store data, and create web-based websites/applications from scratch. You can access these instances using your LightSail console. And connect them and other AWS services via the internet (public) and VPC (private) networking. It is a newer AWS instance, which is less expensive than using the EC2 instance.
Advantages of Amazon Hosting Service
- Long-term commitment – You only get to pay for whatever resource you use rather than paying for using the entire computing cloud.
- Scaling. You are able to upgrade to a bigger VPS version (2-4 CPU instances), vertically or horizontally, by using the Amazon EC2 servers.
- Amazon EC2 offers excellent bandwidth, which helps to boost time efficiency.
- Backup – it can also be used for storage, backups, serving of big files, and Simple DB to aid persistent storage.
- You don’t need to worry much about the hardware failing – though failures can occur, but, with the AWS EC2 server, less server failure is experienced than with a dedicated server. Besides, it is much easier and quicker to recover from such failures.
- Play space – Additional instances can be created for the testing of new architectures, versions, rewrites, load testing, etc.
- CPU suffocation and other limitations with usage are mitigated– several hosting service providers destroy long-running user scripts especially when they notice that the servers are becoming exhausted and may be in danger of crashing. With AWS VPS, this is not a problem.
- Dedicated IP address – you get a dedicated IP address that only you can use. As long as your instance keeps running, you can increase your security and internal network's privacy.
How do I create an amazon VPS?
To use the AWS VPS hosting (EC2) machine, first, you must create your account using the AWS Management Console.
1. The dashboard
First, access the AWS EC2 console to set your cloud machine. The dashboard provides about every AWS EC2 resources that are running.
After accessing the console, you should select a region nearest to your country or industry to improve the server's speed to be set up. The desired region you want can be selected from the right side of your dashboard. Now, return to the Amazon EC2 dashboard and click the 'Launch Instance' button found in the Create Instance section.
2. Select AMI
Before you set your machine up, there should be an embedded OS, which functions as a foundation for your EC2 instances. Hence, you have to first set up an AMI. It can be either Linux or Windows driven.
3. Select the type of EC2 Instance
After you have chosen your AMI, the next step is to choose your machine hardware. AWS refers to it as a type of EC2 instance. Hence you will select the instance type that meets your business requirements. Choose the size of RAM and your machines processor power.
4. Configure the Instance
You can configure the following on your instance:
- The number of instances you want to create (about 20 instances can be created at once)
- Configure necessary networking details, you can also choose to use the default VPC.
- Assign your IP address manually, or you can allow AWS to assign one for you.
- You can also shut the behavior down. AWS VPS is built with a security mechanism layer that stops your instance from being deleted especially when you have accidentally enabled termination protection.
- Detailed Monitoring can be enabled to get a detailed instance report.
5. Adding Storage to your EC2 Machine
The next step is to add storage, this can be done by creating new volumes, and configuring the type and size.
6. Add tags to your machine instance
When you have many instances created and running, you need to continually track them. To do this, you must add tags to each instance using key-value pairs.
7. Configure your machines Security Groups
To limit traffic going to the instance ports, it is imperative to carry out security groups configuration for your machine instance. This provides an additional firewall mechanism different from the normal firewall of the instance’s OS.
8. Review Instances
After all necessary configuration has been made, it is necessary to review everything to ensure there is no error, and all the steps were carried out. After that, you should create the key pair that would enable you to gain control of your machines instance.
Lastly, after reviewing all the configurations, click on the launch state; this helps to ensure your machine instance is up and is running.
Is AWS a VPS?
VPS stands for Virtual Private Server while VPC generally refers to Virtual Private Cloud. Amazon Web Service (AWS) is an example of a VPC service. In a VPC, all the resources are made available in the cloud; this means that resources are available and accessed on-demand. Hence amazon's web service is more or less like a VPS, as in this case, you are given a Virtual machine instead of a sole server. However, this virtual machine uses instances (EC 2 and LightSail) that run as VPS, and this virtual machine comes with infinite resources rather than a fixed configuration. AWS is encompassing in that it is a service that offers different type of VPS hosting such as LightSail for WordPress hosting, S3 for storage, and EC2 hosting for websites
AWS renders a “free tier” of service that gives a Virtual Private Server “micro instance” at zero cost for one year. It also offers ample time to run the micro instance. However, several micro instances can be created simultaneously if users want to scale up on the number of allocated instances.
How much does AWS cost per month?
Although AWS is costed on a pay-as-you-go basis for about 160 services or more, subscription fees differ based on your chosen hardware, software, and networking features, as well as your availability, security, and service requirements. The pricing is the same as the method you use to pay for utilities such as electricity and water. This because you pay for just the services you make use of during the entire billing period, so you don't get charged when your instances are not running.
The total cost of hosting your website on AWS will be different depending on usage. The hosting fee for a website will cost about $0.50/month, especially if you have access to the AWS Free Tier account and you stay within limits.
With AWS services, you build from scratch and also maintain your virtual hosting environment to provide adequate resource scalability, virtualization, security, storage, and speed. Amazon VPS hosting enables you to achieve this at a low cost. It is safe to say that Amazon VPS is a Software as a Service (SaaS) hosted on the Amazon cloud. Hence it is the best service to consider for your VPS if you need an on-demand service. AWS has various hosting services that suits your need, and it is different from other traditional hosting services.
Learn more :