New users get better services when they understand the cloud server pricing. Less pricing doesn't equate to good quality. Most times, it refers to the compatibility of the quality you receive to the purchase price. Like many other services, cloud server pricing involves differences, which vary majorly with service providers. However, the standard or quality of the service provider you are patronizes also influences cloud server pricing. Many reputable companies offer fixed and various price range, which is often available whenever you the website. Hence, you have an idea of the current price available for different packages.
Many users are stuck between choosing the right prices between two service providers. For instance, if two companies provide the same server package for the same price, how do you choose the right one? The most reasonable way to make your choice is contacting old or recent customers, either by joining the chat forums or reading customers' reviews. Moreover, your business needs matters as well. Regardless of what a company offers, it is useless if it doesn't match your business needs. We recommend you have proper documentation of the server resources your business needs. You can contact us for help.
This article further explains how personal cloud storage works, setting up personal storage, the safety of a personal cloud server and why you should own one.
How Does Personal Cloud Storage Work?
Having introduced cloud server pricing to you, you may ask yourself, how does personal cloud storage work? Knowing how personal cloud storage works includes information on what to look out for when looking for a service provider.
1. File versioning
File versioning implies that a user can cloud files from anywhere. However, some cloud services lose your old files whenever you make changes to your existing data. Hence, make sure your cloud is ready to store both old and edited files. File versioning also allows you to save multiple file versions.
File versioning is a vital feature for every business.Business growth can slow down when its owner loses track of previous sales or data. Moreover, some servers allow you to store specific file versions. Also, confirm how long the server takes to store old files before wiping them out.
2. File monitoring and editing
As Cloud server pricing comes with varieties, so is your file editing accessibility. No doubt files to transfer between devices can be time-consuming and stressful. Cloud allows you to edit files without moving them from one storage to another. However, it is an added for business owners, especially businesses that require frequent file check-ups. Likewise, you can edit your files at any point in time. The changes reflect on all your devices, including smartphones, laptops, and tablets. As long as you connect the device to the internet, you can view the changes you make.
Make sure your cloud permits you to undergo quick edits. For instance, a media-based Amazon cloud drive allows users to upload updated files on the cloud after editing them on a hard drive.
3. Collaboration tools
Make sure the collaboration tools your cloud server provides are of high quality. What does it mean? For organizations that often share files between employees, it enhances fast working speed. Collaboration tools would cause slower transition and a drawback in the workflow. Collaboration is faster when users can send files through different means, such as email or direct link. You can authorize certain users or include the protective password to secure the files you transition to the cloud.
4. Automatic syncing
Automatic syncing is rapidly replacing manual updates recently. Companies that largely depend on cloud computing can set up automatic syncing. It ensures your files are updating and reflects the changes you made previously. Moreover, if you are often busy with no free time, we recommend opting for an automatic syncing cloud. Whenever you forget to update your files manually, it could put your business at risk. For instance, when you are preparing a slide and forget you haven't updated the file containing a new business project.
5. Flexible storage and cloud server pricing
When choosing a storage capacity, tailor it to your business needs. You put your server growth at risk when you compare your needs to a colleague's or friend. For instance, small business owners would consider a space that can cater to 5 o0at a reasonable price. Where in, big organizations look forward to large sectors and sub-sectors. Some users choose a relatively small space at lesser cloud server pricing while others - their server at an expensive rate. Meanwhile, providers offer $500-$1000 yearly, depending on your server requirements.
Features of Personal Cloud Storage
Cloud storage contains features that render excellent service to its users. Some of these features are listed below:
- Self-Managed: The ability to monitor cloud server growth is why many users opt for a personal cloud server. It has a feature that allows you to allocated your activities appropriately. Also, cloud computing is readily available has enough capacity to carry out several storage functions. Self-managing helps in cloud server pricing. That is, you can manage your finance input by buying only the resources you need. Whenever you need extra cloud storage, you can subscribe to a bigger plan at a little price difference from the previous or current one.
- Allocate resources: Cloud computing allows users to utilize a multitenant model to gather resources and share them among the hosting servers. Cloud server pricing differs based on the number of resources each server receives. More importantly, providers allocate virtual resources on how much you also demand. Without knowing users' needs, providers cannot ignorantly share resources. By so doing, it creates managerial problems in the future.
Although customers can decide the number of resources to receive, you can't choose the location of all the available resources.
- Increased uptime: Cloud storage comes with fewer or no downtime problems. You can be sure of a high-speed performance level. At the same time, the cost of maintenance is low. In most cases, your service provider would provide free maintenance service without getting you involved. However, free maintenance is relative. It depends if the customer has a long-term relationship with the provider or otherwise. Also, the cloud server automatically fixes bugs regularly. Since your server updates itself frequently, it provides better features that match the operating device.
- Saves cost: Cloud server pricing isn't a one-time account. With personal cloud server storage, you get to pay as you use the services. It saves cost and extra expenses. Many reputable companies don't request one-time payments for users. For instance, our cloud packages aren't contract-based. It allows you to opt-out at will. Also, there is some server space that we allocate to our users for free.
- Proper recording: You can use your cloud storage to monitor and record your website growth. It is more crucial for companies that run several virtual organization teams. An example of this is office 365.
- Improved accessibility: After successfully opening a cloud server account, it provides free access from anywhere across the world. As long as your device has an internet connection, you can monitor your online data.
How to Set Up Personal Cloud Storage
Having mentioned the importance of a cloud server, here is how to set up personal cloud storage. There are several online tools you can use to set up personal cloud storage, including NextCloud. NextCloud is an application that allows cloud storage for several users. It supports almost every, including Windows, Linux, Andriod, Mac, and iOS. After creating an account with NextCloud, you can control your cloud using the administrator control panel. It allows you to set quotas, configure the system, set up access permission, and many more. Moreover, NextCloud doesn't only provide a storage function. It has a feature that allows users to carry out extra tasks, such as video conferences and online chat.
To set up personal cloud storage with NextCloud, you can either create a local account or access it on the internet, using a domain name. However, we observed many users opt for the domain name since it's easier and faster than creating a local account. Hence, this article focuses on how to connect with NectCloud on the internet using a domain name.
Firstly, how do you get a domain name?
1. Using a regular online host such as Digital ocean:
- You can create a DigitalOcean account when you enter the web address; https://www.digitalocean.com/.
- On the website, login by providing your username and password. If you don't have an account already, sign up to own one. While signing up, a confirmation message would be sent to your email, including your root username and password.
- On your DigitalOcean dashboard, click on the "create" option. Under the "create from image" option, choose Ubuntu. You can select another Linux operator of your choice, but this article focuses on Ubuntu.
- From there, set up a region closer to your present location, then go ahead to choose a hosting plan. Again, choose a package to suits your need.
- It will require root access from you. The root is the username the provider sent to your email, and the password, then create.
- From the left side of your dashboard, copy the IPv4 address.
- After generating an IP address, go to the domain name registrar account. Then, create a subdomain name of your choice. Note that; it is wrong to put spaces between domain names.
What next after getting the domain name?
2. Configure Ubuntu
- On your DigitalOcean dashboard, click "launch console". Then, enter your root details (username and password).
- After launching the console, you update the system.
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
Note: You can create a regular user account, so you wouldn't have to log in to your root account every minute.
3. Install NextCloud server
- Firstly, you should check if the snap package manager is installed by entering:
if ! which snap; then sudo apt-get install snapd; fi
- If you don't have a snap package, install it with the command:
sudo snap install nextcloud
- Then, you can successfully install the NextCloud server by creating a new username and password.
sudo nextcloud. manual-install new user new pass
- To ensure maximum security, configure and enable the firewall. With a firewall, you can run HTTP, OpenSSH, and HTTPS.
sudo ufw allow OpenSSH sudo ufw allow 80,443/TCP sudo ufw enable
- Set your domain name as a trusted attachment with NextCloud. Replace subdomain.mydomain.com with the domain you created earlier.
sudo nextcloud.occ config:system:set trusted_domains 1 --value subdomain.mydomain.com
- Encrypt your HTTPS, to enable you to get the SSL certificate. However, you would need to renew the certificate every 90 days, which is free.
sudo nextcloud.enable-HTTPS lets-encrypt
- After encrypting, enter the key "y".
- It would request your email address. Submit an active and accessible email.
Congratulations! You have successfully created personal cloud storage on the internet.
Is Personal Cloud Storage Safe?
Intending users often ask this; Is personal cloud storage safe? The shortest response to this question is yes. The main reason why cloud storage is taking over physical drives is due to its maximum safety. When you have personal cloud storage, you can be sure to access your data even after a long period. Interestingly, many services offer optimum uptime. Hence, cloud storage rarely undergoes technical error.
Do you have a file you want to keep for many years? We recommend you subscribe to personal cloud storage. Moreso, cloud storage has a backup feature that allows users to restore lost data.
The reputation of your service provider also influences Cloud server pricing. Big companies such as Microsoft Azure and Google large cloud price for established companies. However, you would get great value more than the amount you pay. These companies have been on the internet for years, closely monitoring people's needs. Whenever there is a shift towards meeting audiences' needs, the companies launch new versions of existing software. Hence, big platforms update your server regularly to suit these needs. You can be sure you are right on track. Azure and Goggle offer regular and affordable packages to the company. For personal purposes, the simple packages are enough to carry out your activities. Interestingly, some packages have free versions.
You can contact us if you want to own a personal cloud server.
Learn more :