VPS Hosting: All You Need to Know
As an eCommerce site owner, you invest a lot of resources strategizing on pushing sales in a bid to drive traffic and boost revenue. Knowing how vital sales are to your business, the goal should be to avoid anything that slows your site down and causes downtime as this definitely will drop your sales and traffic. Shared hosting may be great for startups, but as your business expands, it becomes inefficient as the resource limitations become glaring.
When you notice this, you’ll need to increase your server resources; a great way is by moving to VPS hosting. Our article provides you with reasons to choose VPS hosting, tips on selecting the best, and our top 3 VPS providers.
Why Upgrade to VPS Hosting?
Most eCommerce sites started with shared hosting; at first, it provides you with the resources you require to run your site. However, as your site continues to grow, the hard truth is that shared hosting can harm your site at unfortunate times. What happens is that the resources provided by shared hosting become unable to match your traffic volume and as such, your site begins to lag.
The terrible thing about sites that take long to load is that visitors will often close your site and move on to the next site with what they want and loads fast. The loss of sales also comes with an increase in bounce rate and poor user experience. Users who leave with poor experience spread the word about it, further ruin your site’s reputation and cost you, potential customers.
Now the great news is you can prevent all the scenarios listed above by only employing VPS hosting. There are a host of other benefits that come with using VPS hosting. Let’s have a look at some of them below.
- Speed – One selling point of eCommerce is that customers get to sidetrack the usual delays and queues associated with the physical shopping experience. VPS hosting helps you ensure that your site has excellent loading speed. With the elimination of poor loading speed, you provide shoppers with the best experience and give them more reasons to shop with you.
- Dedicated Resources and Premium User Experience - Shared hosting sees server resources divided among the clients; this is the primary reason for the fluctuations your site suffers during peak traffic. The fact that the sites all have to struggle for the resources slows down site loading speed and affects resource availability.
On the other hand, VPS hosting provides you with your very own server resources because while the sites share the same physical server, they have separate resources. These resources are available to you regardless of your location and time.
- Root Access – VPS hosting offers you extended control over your server. You may not comprehend the damage that limited control over your VPS server leaves you. However, VPS hosting offers you root access to control and customize your server environment. You can do so much with the root access, even changing your operating system and installing the software you need for your operations.
- Improved Scalability - One of the several limitations of shared hosting is that it cannot be scaled when your site begins to thrive. Therefore, once you’ve exceeded the traffic carrying capacity of shared hosting, you will need to upgrade to VPS hosting.
VPS hosting provided you with the added resources you need and let you upscale your resources when you please. The ease of upscaling allows your business to continue to grow without you needing to bother about the high cost of a dedicated hosting server.
- Reliable Hosting Environment – VPS hosting offers you a more reliable and stable hosting environment. What this means is that you enjoy better performance and uptime. This is quite unlike with shared hosting that comes with the highest number of downtime and terrible execution.
With VPS hosting, the fact that one server fails has no bearing on your server’s performance. When one server fails, your business is immediately moved to one that is still up and running. The reliability also stems from the fact that your site data is backed up securely on remote servers. Thus, you don’t have any fear of losing your essential information.
- Highly Cost Effective - In the hosting industry, what you pay for is what you get. We mean that the cheapest plans often won’t provide you with the best quality there is out there. However, for as little as $10, you can get a better performing site with better reliability.
However, shared hosting does not offer you nearly half of the benefits VPS hosting does at the same price. Thus, with VPS hosting, you get value for every penny you spend. VPS hosting, therefore, offers growing businesses a better deal than shared hosting.
- High-level Security – VPS hosting plans offer you total privacy and highly developed security features. With the hosting plans, you can control security features like firewall and antivirus configurations. You even get to enjoy DDoS protections and choose your air system.
However, shared hosting providers provide you with the mere basics as regards security. These security resources may not be able to cater to your server needs. The fact also that you share server resource with other users further exposes you to security risk.
- Server Resource Limits – One significant benefit of VPS hosting is that you get your resources allocated. With VPS hosting, you get the primary resources you need to run your site at the basic rates. That is not to say that there is an imposed restriction on what you get to enjoy.
At any point, you can switch to a higher plan and enjoy even more resources. For example, the initial plan may offer you only one CPU. If you require more, you can upscale; this applies to other resources like RAM, bandwidth, etc.
Cheap VPS Hosting Providers
There are many benefits you get from switching to VPS hosting. They include added flexibility and control over your server, better performance and many more. Now the benefits you enjoy are dependent on the features that particular VPS plan you have chosen offers.
Of course, there are cheap VPS providers. However, as we mentioned earlier, with VPS hosting, what you pay for is what you get. So don’t go expecting premium benefits from your basic plan; it doesn’t work that way. However, this does not mean that the most expensive VPS plan out there is best for you.
Choosing a VPS provider can get confusing, but there is no need to trouble your pretty head. Follow the tips we have provided below.
How Can You Choose the Best VPS Hosting Provider?
Investing in a great VPS hosting provider goes a long way in ensuring your business continues to grow and thrive. For this reason, selecting the best VPS hosting provider for your business is crucial. It requires that you put a lot of factors into consideration. Some of these factors are:
- Costs – When selecting a VPS hosting provider, it is vital to consider the short-term cost and the long-term cost. You can try out many of the VPS services while trying to find the one that works best for you. Don’t be scared, a lot of these plans come with a money-back guarantee, so you don’t necessarily need to commit to a plan.
- Security – The VPS hosting providers typically provide you with great security features. However, some require that you pay a little extra for additional features like DDoS protection. On the other hand, other VPS providers may offer you all the security features for free; so essentially, the burden of choice rests with you.
- Uptime – Most VPS offer server uptime of 99.1%- 100%. The difference may not look like much, but even a margin of 0.1 is a big deal to your eCommerce site. Look out for VPS providers that deliver on their promise of high uptime. Remember that even the tiniest amount of server downtime can hurt your business.
- Customer Support – You don’t want to wait donkey years to get the attention you need from your service team. Thus, you must ensure that whichever hosting provider you choose to go with, has a section dedicated to offering you timely support. Pick a VPS hosting provider that offers round the clock customer support as this will mean you will have your queries attended to swiftly.
- Type – Most VPS hosting providers give you the option of choosing between fully managed and self-managed VPS plans. Fully managed VPS plans offer you less control and flexibility over your server as the provider has greater control over the server. On the other hand, self-managed VPS plans offer you root access and flexibility to your server so that you can manage your server on your own.
Top 3 VPS Hosting Providers of 2021?
We promised to provide you with a list of the best VPS hosting providers out there. We have delivered on our promise. The VPS providers that made it to this list were selected after thorough research. We chose these VPS providers based on cost and available features.
In terms of cheap VPS hosting providers, Hostinger ranks high for being the most budget-friendly VPS. You get VPS hosting benefits at insanely affordable prices, i.e. for as low as $3.95 monthly. What Hostinger does is provide you with high server performance and features at really cool rates.
The basic plan comes with IP4 and IPv6, round the clock customer support and high-quality data backup. Other features of Hostinger VPS include:
- 1GB RAM, 1 CPU, 1 TB of bandwidth and 20 GB worth of storage space on an SSD
- Complete root access and flexibility
- Easy upscaling to other plans with even more resources
- Dedicated IP address
2. BlueHost VPS
Bluehost is widely acclaimed for having the best features for VPS hosting. These features are especially great for WordPress hosting. With the excellent VPS hosting features Bluehost provides users with, it’s no surprise that they made our list of best VPS hosting providers.
With Bluehost, you enjoy one-year free domain registration, 24/7 customer support and money-back guarantee. Bluehost VPS plans start at $19.99 per month for new customers and $29.99 for returning customers. Some plans, however, cost as much as $59.99 per month.
Bluehost VPS plans offer your features that stand out compared with those of other VPS hosting providers of the similar price range. Some of these features are:
- Root access and advanced file management
- SSH access and free domain registration valid for a year.
- SSL certificate
- 1 TB worth of bandwidth, 30 GB storage space and 2 GB worth of RAM.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Flexibility and access to add relevant server add-ons
- Improved security and data backup feature
You have probably heard of DreamHost; they have been around for over 20 years and have gathered that much worth of hosting experience. DreamHost powers more than 1.5 million sites in over a hundred countries. They offer you a fully managed VPS plan which means that you are saved from managing your server.
DreamHost makes our list because it is among the cheapest VPS hosting plans in 2021 and is excellent for those looking for unlimited bandwidth. Setting up your DreamHost server is as simple as ABC with the quick set up options and easy to use control panel. Let’s take a quick look at the features of DreamHost VPS hosting.
- 100% server uptime
- Scalable resources like RAM and extras like SSDs, SSL, Email and unlimited domain
- Unlimited site traffic and bandwidth
- Root access and advanced features such as automatic software updates, Apache etc.
The shared hosting plan may be great for startups, but they suck for growing eCommerce business. On the other hand, VPS hosting offers you the best resources you need for your business. You should choose VPS hosting today for these reasons: improved security, performance and reliability. Some of the top VPS hosting providers you should consider are Bluehost, DreamHost and Hostinger.
Learn more :