Introduction to Linux VPS
Every website owner must have heard of a Virtual Private Server, most especially those who want their website online and on a trusted server. VPS servers are arguably the best thing that has happened to website owners and their businesses. To be more specific, the Linux VPS server makes things even more interesting for them. Let us now look more into Virtual Servers and the Linux VPS.
You may have been asking, What is a Linux VPS?
To fully understand what a Linux VPS is, we should start first with a brief explanation of what virtualization is.
In this context, virtualization can be seen as the act of running a program in virtual storage. In simpler terms, creating a virtual version of something, such as a virtual computer hardware system, computer network resources, and storage devices.
A Virtual Private Server (VPS) can therefore be seen as a virtual machine that runs on powerful server hardware and performs the functions of a server. It is a service that is used in the hosting world, acting as a standalone dedicated server. A VPS has its dedicated resources, but more than one VPS can be in one powerful physical server. In virtualization, the physical server is divided into numerous VPSs along with their respective resources. When a server is divided into virtual machines with their resources, as earlier mentioned, it is each of these Virtual Machine that is called a VPS. This distribution and isolation mean that you won't be sharing CPU, RAM, or any other data with another party. Also, a VPS comes with complete root access, better security, and guaranteed performance. You don't have to worry about your server, unlike when using a shared hosting service.
Linux VPS, as I earlier said, is simply just a hosting software that runs over the Linux system. When you obtain a VPS from any Linux VPS provider, especially from a reputable one like us, you have gotten a Linux VPS hosting.
Linux is a family of open-source operating systems that have server versions that have been created to manage the requirements of a hosting environment as big as an enterprise-level efficiently. It is hosted on a physical server. As a virtual system, the service has to run in the host memory of a computer system. The host computer system can run several other virtual servers.
Linux VPS lets users share virtual servers, but you will not suffer from low speed or decreased performance. This is because every virtual server will run with a separate operating system, and each system will be administered independently from others. Every VPS on the server has its operating system as well as data and applications that are independent of all other VPSs on the same server. Even the data on the host server and that of the VPSs are separated.
Linux VPS offers many benefits to its users to help them get the best experience of web hosting. Some of the benefits of Linux VPS include the following:
- Flexibility: Linux VPS is very easy to install and use. It allows a user to install many plugs and tools according to their needs. Also, activation and configuration are very fast with Linux VPS, and it has better virtualization and grouping as well. If you are reinstalling the operating system with Linux, there are still several options to fix it with.
- Multi-tenancy: This is one of the major benefits of using Linux VPS. With this package, once you have gotten VPS hosting, you can assign resources such as web space and email accounts to different clients. This works like the concept of division of labor and has many advantages of its own.
- Low cost and easy changes: As a Linux VPS uses open-source technology, the price is entirely worth it and its application directly and visibly affects your business greatly. Along with its minimal hosting cost is a wide range of features. You are given a chance to modify the server to suit your various needs easily and can even adjust your space and bandwidth to your taste at a low cost. This VPS comes with multiple tools and utilities with which you can perform many different tasks. One of the best of these tools and utilities is the "shell." This helps the user execute commands repeatedly, automate server administration tasks, and to build new tools and utilities.
If you are in need of the best hosting services, Linux VPS is, without doubt, your best bet. Aside from the above-mentioned benefits, hosting Linux VPS comes with a lot more advantages. Most interestingly, it is available for free in the market, and you don't have to worry about licensing issues. With this, you can save much more money by using this server as compared to other hosting services. It is also very reliable and safe. More advantages of using Linux VPS hosting includes:
- Stability: The stability Linux VPS provides can never be overstressed. It is arguably the most stable OS currently. It rarely ever requires a restart and hardly ever crashes too. This adds to its uptime and increases its performance rating.
- Security: The level of protection which the Linux VPS offers is unrivaled. It has a reputation of being almost impenetrable by malware and viruses. As it uses an Open-source technology, everyone in the Linux community network has access to the source code, making it easy for them to detect and fix bugs and other vulnerabilities.
- Cost-effectiveness: Since Linux VPS uses open-source technology and is free, one is not required to pay license fees monthly. The prices of plans also vary to suit your requirements and budget. All this helps you as a customer save a lot more.
- High Performance: In terms of performance, the Linux VPS is, without doubt, superior over others. It allows multiple users on the server at a time without any trouble. It also allows websites to load faster with its improved processing power. This goes a long way to help improve your engagements and help you carry out your activities without affecting other processes.
- Privacy: The Linux VPS service gathers very little information about its users. This is contradictory to its rival, Windows, which gathers lots of information about users. This development, alongside the ability of customers to customize the settings of this server, gives you all the privacy you may require.
- Dedicated Resources and Support: The Linux VPS gives you unrivaled resources such as higher capacity RAM, disk space, and CPU. With this, your site can accommodate more traffic. Also, with our technical team offering 27/7 support, you can get all the assistance you need. Combining these two advantages can significantly increase your experience using a server.
- Hosting of Multiple Domains and Direct Root Access: With the Linux VPS server, you can conveniently host multiple domains without the usual limitations other packages give. The package also gives you complete control over your site. You can use the control panel to carry out many tasks, including easily configuring your server and controlling any app installation.
The Linux VPS offers many more advantages, one of which is the option of automatic cloud backup to safe-keep your data. It provides many more benefits to customers, most especially owners of businesses. It is also far more budget-friendly than the windows VPS hosting and has an active community of developers who make improvements regularly.
How to Choose the Right Linux VPS
Seeing all the many advantages the Linux VPS comes with, you may now be very interested in trying it out. But although it is very advantageous, one crucial thing you should keep in mind is that you should choose the right Linux VPS to enjoy all the facilities of the services with peace of mind.
After making up your mind to go with the Linux VPS, your next question will now be, How do I choose the right Linux VPS?
Well, to be honest, although the power is all in your hands, choosing the ideal Linux VPS can be quite a difficult task because there are many brands to choose from. However, we recommend that you go for one which gives you the most resources and benefits for the lowest price. This is why we have brought performance and affordability together. Patronize us to get the best benefits from a Linux VPS at the lowest price.
Before you select from the many different flavors, different brands offer in Linux VPS, make sure you check specifications and benefits you can enjoy with that plan. Also, take your project's requirements into mind and choose the brand that will satisfy your needs.
Below is a comprehensive list of more things you should consider so you can choose the right Linux VPS:
- The quantity of the resources you require. This includes RAM, CPU, Hard disk, and any other resources you may need.
- The amount of traffic your website has, or you expect it to start having.
- Take the location of your website host into consideration as some locations enjoy some advantages over others.
- If you want your website to be running at all times, ensure that the company you hire is always responsive in case hackers start targeting your website, or you need professional technical assistance in case of other emergencies.
After considering all these factors, finally, bring your budget into consideration and see how much you are willing and able to spare at the time and compare it to the benefits the Linux VPS plan offers. Decide on something that you can afford and what can satisfy your requirements the most.
How to Really Secure Your Linux VPS SSH Service
The Secure Shell or the SSH is a remote administration protocol that allows you to control and modify your remote server over the Internet. Knowing this, it is obvious that the SSH is the most sensitive and most vulnerable service on your system. You should know that by default, 99.9% of all VPS connected to the Internet run this service, and hackers will first try to gain access to your VPS using this SSH. If anybody can gain access to your VPS by using this SSH service, they can easily take total control of your entire VPS along with its data.
With this, it is evident that the most important thing you should protect on your VPS is the SSH. We will now show you three easy methods to secure your Linux VPS SSH service.
1. Changing the SSH Listening Port
This is the easiest of the three methods to use. Its ease does not make it incompetent as it greatly reduces the number of attempts using the SSH service to gain unauthorized login to your VPS. You can change this SSH Listening port by following these easy steps:
- Login to your VPS with root privileges
- Edit File/etc/ssh/sshd_config
- Change the port entry from 22 to any number between 1025 and 65535 and make sure you have not already used the port for something else
- Save the changes
- Restart the SSH service
Also, using this method with the Intrusion Detection System helps you to easily catch people who may try to gain unauthorized access to the SSH service.
2. Configuring Key Based Access
This is one of the best methods of securing the SSH service. Configuring your key-based access will prevent users from accessing your VPS via password-based authentication. Instead, it will require each user to present a key and then a matching password unique to that key. This makes the security more secure since you need two authentication processes instead of one to gain access.
3. Monitoring and Blocking Failed Logins with IDS
This considerably increases the security of your Linux VPS SSH service. The best way to do this is to monitor and block failed user logins by installing CSF. The CSF is a reliable, free Intrusion Detection System and IP tables based firewall app that can run on most VPS systems. You can install it by simply downloading the script and following the installation instructions.After changing your port entry from the default and common 22 and activating the CSF, the software will monitor all attempted logins to your server and ban IPs with too many failed attempts.
Learn more :