VPS hosting is a type of hosting service that is chosen by clients whose traffic is increasing due to the high demand that is being placed on their website daily. Let's use an illustration of a girl named Jane. Jane is a passionate writer whose niche is health and medical writing. During the lockdown of COVID-19, she started her research on the disease in question and ways people can protect themselves from being infected. She started with shared hosting because she didn't know how far or how useful it might turn out to be. As the fatality rate increased, she observed that she was getting more traffics to her website that made her website start slowing down, and the loading time took longer than it used to. She doesn't want to get a dedicated server because she feels her website is not ready for such expense. Therefore, she opts-in for a VPS, and her website stopped experiencing downtime.
This is what almost all website owners face when they start small. Although, starting is a good thing, however, they need to get their mind and budget prepared to incase things change and the demand increases. Aside from Jane's story, there is also a lot of scenarios that have played out that has led people into migrating from shared hosting to VPS hosting, activating it immediately without the visitors noticing any drag while they continue their work as though nothing went wrong.
VPS hosting is advisable for medium scale websites whose number of visitors is on the rise daily. Except you are sure that your new website would receive huge traffic immediately, it is not advisable to use VPS hosting.
The acronym VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. Amongst all the hosting services, it is the most popular hosting service due to its flexibility characteristics. Just like a physical server, it is also a server; the difference is that it is invisible in the sense that you can't see it with your physical eyes, neither can it be felt. But you'd need to know that it is there.
Have it in mind that—VPS hosting is the new deal. It is a combination of both shared hosting and dedicated hosting or server. Because the user gets to experience some of the attributes of dedicated hosting. Wondering what shared and dedicated hosting is? Shared hosting is the hosting of different websites by different users on one physical server. While dedicated hosting is the hosting of websites by one person. So, the owner utilizes the resources without getting to share them with anybody.
The experience I stated comes in when multiple users are on that server, but it is as though it is just the user that is on that server.
For example, you have a physical computer that is HDD or hard disk drive, with a processor of 1.3hz, with 2 GB RAM, and a battery life of two hours. And you need to achieve a task that requires an SSD or solid-state drive, with at most a core i7 processor, which requires a 16 GB RAM and four hours battery life because that is the amount of time it will take the task to be completed. You won't have to bother to get another computer when you can access a virtual server that would provide the resources you need without you having to worry about the battery going down. This is where VPS hosting comes in, all you have to do is purchase a VPS from a hosting company, and you are good to go. To buttress further on what was stated above, imagine a service apartment in a building; all you need to move into that apart is your personal belongings. You don't need a bed nor a gas cooker because the basic needs have been provided by the landlord. You have other neighbors too but, what they do does not concern and affect you in any way possible, and you have your privacy. That is exactly how VPS hosting is; you purchase a virtual server with the necessary resources that are needed, you start working and improving on your business. You don't have to worry about someone else mixing up the resources or doing something illegal that could jeopardize the image of your business.
Having understood where VPS hosting comes in, there are various hosting platforms or companies that offer instant activation as you purchase any VPS services from them. Instant activation means the client would get his or her VPS up and running with 15 seconds to 40 seconds of the request made; at most, 2 minutes if an unexpected delay occurs. Note that not all hosting platforms have the instant activation feature. So, before purchasing from a VPS hosting provider, ensure to read thoroughly and make sure they will get your purchased VPS working in no time to prevent a delay in the task you want to achieve.
Hosting Providers That Offer VPS Instant Activation
There are a lot of hosting providers that offer instant VPS activation in seconds or minutes of when the request was made. They include the following:
- Inmotion hosting
- Liquid web
- A2 hosting
These are only a few. There are others that you can decide to check out. These ones are highly recommended.
Top Three (3) Reasons To Go For VPS Hosting
The top three reasons that you should look at before migrating to VPS hosting is as follows;
- Security: As the relevance of your blog or business website grows, there is high demand meaning more customer data is being stored. Malicious people are constantly looking for loopholes on how they can collect customer data from your website and use it without your consent to bring a bad name to you and your website.
- Slow website due to high traffic volume: As stated earlier, as your website traffics increase, your RAM increase as well. A website with high RAM cannot function or run effectively in shared hosting, so upgrading to a VPS will be doing your website a favor even as it keeps growing consistently.
- If you are running an online business and you begin to experience server error: Often a time, having an online business or store requires a dedicated server but, not everyone can afford a dedicated server. So, VPS is the next best option. If you are wondering why shared VPS can't be used; it is because when running an online business that requires credit card payment, you are going to a PCI, also known as Payment Card Industry data security standard compliance test. It was implemented to help credit cardholders their information against cardholder data theft. So, you would definitely want to put measures in place and precautions to guarantee the safety of your customer's financial information.
So, to avoid being hacked or prevent hackers from using a back door to access your website data, it is advisable to switch to VPS.
When using VPS, the data and applications are separated from other users and their data in that server. Aside from the separation of customer data that is available when using a VPS, there are also updates in patching, firewalls, and operating system which is done by the hosting provider if the client chooses a fully managed service.
Benefits of VPS Hosting
With what has been stated thus far, the benefit of using or migrating to VPS hosting is pretty obvious. But I will still state other benefits of using VPS hosting. They are as follows:
- Full admin access: When using shared hosting, you do not have full root access or admin access to do whatever you want on the server. But when using a VPS, you have full root access in your VPS--because VPS has some characteristics of a dedicated server, and one of them is full root access or admin access. Having full root access gives you total control of your servers, such as hosting multiple websites, game servers, or third-party software or application.
- Customization: Having full admin access also gives room for the desired customization that the client wants depending on their level of technical skills. Advanced configuration is also available. So, it is up to the client to fully utilize and enjoy the leverage.
- Reliability and scalability: When using VPS hosting, there would be no need to worry about downtime because the downtime is next to almost zero. In the sense that, the uptime of shared hosting is not always guaranteed which can lead to loss of revenue if your website keeps experiencing downtime or it keeps running into server error. Which would leave the client losing their customers to their fellow competitors.
While in the aspect of scalability; business needs are not constant, it changes over time. VPS is capable of scaling up and scaling down or to scale in and scale out without any obvious interruption by the end-user. It is one of the most important factors to be considered before hosting a website in the first place.
With reliability and scalability fully assured, the improved performance of your website is guaranteed.
- Cost-effective: Without a doubt, using a VPS is cheaper compared to using a dedicated server. Though it is a little bit more expensive than shared hosting, it is worth the price in the sense that you know and understand the services you are paying for.
Choosing a Technically Competent VPS Host
Having the benefit of using a VPS, I bet you are already curious and anxious to get a VPS hosting provider soon. Getting a VPS hosting provider is not an issue; as a matter of fact, they are all available on google when you search for them but choosing the right one is never always easy. Shortly, I will give you a list of things you should consider when choosing a hosting provider. They are as follows:
- Location of the physical server: Knowing the location of the physical server is very important. In the sense that you will need to ensure that the environment does not have any issues with connectivity that leads to a poor connection which will definitely affect the state of your website.
- Resources: You need to list out the features that your website requires. So, you can check and make inquires about all the VPS hosting providers that offer those resources you need and if they also fall in line with your budget. As earlier stated, there are numerous hosting providers out there; don't try to manage or settle for less; keep going through all of them and their various plans. You will eventually get a hosting provider with a plan that is suitable for your website and wouldn't break the bank.
- Support: All the hosting providers have support teams without a doubt. But, their level of support team varies. Check out customer reviews about them and how their experience has been since they started working with them. You will need to get the support plan that is suitable for you.
- Also, check if the Hosting provider allows file transfer protocols (FTP) access.
In as much as you are bent on getting your website up and running or you want to migrate quickly to VPS hosting, don't be in so much hurry so you don't make mistakes. I would advise that when you come across a couple of VPS hosting providers with the type of characteristics you are looking for, explore them as much as possible.
You can make a start with a couple of hosting providers that were listed earlier. They are currently offering discounts to new clients who are using their services for the first time; So, you have nothing to lose. Check out the loopholes that they have and if you can leave with it. When you finally find your desired VPS hosting provider, explore it even more and find out their solution peradventure a downtime happens due to unforeseen circumstance.
Also, check out what they offer aside from the needed resources you want and learn how the extra features you would gain from them would contribute to your website.
Learn more :