Understanding the dire need
In today's world, everything runs around the digital platform and houses a vast hoard of information. Gone are the days of giving up data manually or waiting hours to reach out to any specific individual. Now, one of the pivotal aspects that define any business or search is the website.
The term website is something that everyone has heard about and regularly uses for different activities. Interested in any new dress, appliance, or information trending in the market? The first thing that is done is to refer to any website for more clarity immediately. Businesses thrive on the running of websites. The stock markets suffer millions of losses, even if the website gets crashed for a nanosecond. In simple words, the world would come to a halt if the world wide web hosting different websites gets down.
Hence, it is very important to understand the different reasons any website goes down, methods to check out the same, and troubleshoot in serious issues. The upcoming content speaks in more detail about it.
Knowing the root causes
Before moving forward with any diagnostics on the website, it is very important to understand the root causes. Not every downtime of the website has the same reason, and thus, identifying the former would sort out a majority of the problem there itself. The root causes of any website going down can be categorized into two major types- Frontend and Backend.
The front end includes the most obvious reasons that can be detected either from the user's internet connectivity or addressing the common browser configuration problems. Hence, they get resolved very easily, and you do not need to spend much time and resources on such.
The backend includes the most common problems that are faced regularly and often takes a lot of time to resolve. In simple terms, it can be attributed to bugs in the website code, incorrect HTML code, server-side downtime, and many such. If you want to get into further details, the following points will help out accordingly:
- The server's web host runs up the overall speed and engine of the website and keeps up with the regular environment in it. As a result, it would be very much evident that the host runs rounds of maintenance at its side for a smooth equilibrium between the uptime and downtime of the same. If a configuration mismatch between the upgraded host and website, it is very likely to cause the latter to go down.
- One of the highly anticipated reasons is a sudden increase in the overall traffic leading to a large number of data access requests from the users and the eventual overloading of the website's data packets before bringing it down completely. Switching to the next level of data plan or a new variety of Cloud hosting plan would ensure proper handling of the website's crowd and eventual running on regional and global scales.
- The unexpected attack from the black hat hackers or other members of the dark world of the internet can also cause damage at the backend of the website and force down the same until the code is not improved for further applications by the internet users (Ex- leakage of the payment information stored within the forum).
Therefore, the net reason can either be a single one out of these or a random combination. Timely detection of such backend problems helps create a suitable rollback plan to handle the issue before it gets too late.
The general procedure of checking up on the issue
Though there are many techniques to check the uptime of the website for 24/7 monitoring, a basic procedure is defined for the first level of diagnosis in case of such issues popping up. The following lists down the same:
- The first step lies in selecting the website testing tool for conducting detailed and conclusive test plans to show the log of errors that are becoming the culprits. In general, those service providers or softwares need to be selected that offer a complete suite of testing solutions (starting from website speed test to final result printing).
- Once the testing tool is selected, the next step comes up with entering up the URL website and selecting the country of access based on the team's complaints. As a default option, global is selected initially, but you can switch to any of the basis of the specific nation your requirements.
- Post the pre-requisite setup; the test plan needs to be executed in the testing tool for the full round of scans. Finally, after hours of operation, the results would get displayed based on the countries selected. In the case of global, it would create up the log list with sub-heading of different nations experiencing the same issue frequently.
- Based on the results, the testing tool also provides a probable solution that can be tried upon to check the effectivity. Alternatively, the backend team can go for their own set of plans to test and check the effectivity in curing up the situation.
With such a basic procedure, it becomes very easy to understand the alterations in the backend of the website and plan out the preventive actions to prevent any compromise on the fronts of network performance and reliability.
Usage of the specific diagnosis tools
In lines of the general procedure mentioned above, there are certain named tools for the diagnosis. The following defines the same:
- The first choice lies with going for the simple online checker that intimates the user if the website status is on or off worldwide. It requires the user to visit the same website and enter the URL to display the online status on the screen directly. The entire process is inexpensive and can give the first impression on the actual problem running up behind the scenes.
- The second choice is the next level solution provider of the previous category. It can extend the log to other points like port health, security patches, ping, and other related factors. The added advantage that comes up with this specific tool is the real-time analysis of the results while running at any instant.
- The third choice lies with checking the overall response time, DNS, first byte, and last byte connection with the primary server. Not only does it display the issues related to the active nations, but it also diagnoses the registered server properly to ensure that it is not under any threat or subsequent synchronization of the same with the website.
- The last and most popular choice for diagnosing the website is running it under a proxy server at different locations to verify the status individually. More than an active response, it is a preventive round taken up by the backend team at any time of the year to understand any of the impending issues.
- A good number of years of experience of the forum or software in the particular category to speak volumes on the current ratings in the market and recommendations given to it by the previous clients who have used up the services for their diagnosis.
- Several versions are given up in the upgrades to showcase the increasing effectiveness in undergoing the diagnostics' first-time correction.
- Easy to understand interface and tools within the software for the testers' overall convenience and the perfect selection of the combination to obtain required test results.
- Either zero or nominal payment for using up the services to fall within the client's given budgeting and thus ensure reach out to a wide number of nations.
- Perfect accessibility with the primary server's location to check up the issues either locally or globally and not end up showing otherwise cases.
- A suitable cybersecurity level is maintained within the platform to safeguard the sensitive backend data either entered manually or accessed remotely by it for analysis purposes.
After entering the URL in the search tab, you need to hit upon any of the tabs mentioned above to get the detailed report of the problem or current status as per the selected criterion. If you hit on the option for global, it would create the final display window showing up several parameters for individual nations and finally the status on the world wide web.
The display list showcases the online status, IP address, size, and response times in ms for detailed analysis by the experts in the backend.
The proxy server allows the website to get directly connected to any part of the world and check if you can access the full contents over there or not. As exciting as it sounds, it has one upper cap in terms of duration up to which you can stay connected to that particular country via the former.
The basis on the degree of issue experienced by the website, the team might even go for a combination of the tools mentioned above for detailed analysis and rollback diagnosis of the problem. Irrespective of the tool that is supposed to be used, a test plan needs to be prepared to check up the factors that need to be studied for first time correction of the down problem.
Ensuring the proper selection of tool
Even if you consider any single category of tool, you are sure to find many options in terms of diagnosis websites or softwares. The only way to effectively get the results is by going for the ideal or perfect service providers. The following factors would help out in filtering the selection:
Hence, it is very important to go for the perfect solution providers to ease the complexity of analysis and give best-in-class results within the first attempt.
Prevention is better than cure
As goes by the common saying, it is very imperative to stay prevented and avoid the issues, rather than falling directly into it at the urgent situations. Thus, as a preventive plan for reducing the downtime, the following actions can be taken:
- It is highly recommended to introduce an additional layer of CDN between the website and its respective server. It performs majorly on the two fronts- creating a network of caching servers to understand the website running at differing proximities of the world and checking on the device IP addresses accessing the site for any malicious bots or viruses. Hence, such Content Delivery Networks ensure the first line of protection to the overall system.
- The next prevention can be done by selecting a highly reliable host to support the website. It is very important to go for the popular and registered ones who have experience handling up a similar genre of websites earlier. Even though it might cost a bit to the team, the level of monitoring offered by the same is impeccable and keeps a check on any of the suspicious activity that can bring down the website in a go.
- Keeping a backup of the backend data is one of the safest and reliable options to aid in rollbacks done at the very end moment. It is generally done by going for a secondary server with a different service provider that works only as a storage repository and aids in quick data restoration.
- You can also hire white hat hackers or ethical ones to intentionally work upon creating the website's downtime and include the reports under regular website check-ups for the team's overall learning.
Learn more :