Godaddy is a platform that offers great hosting service, performance, and support with other VPS hosting service providers. The first step to utilizing the services of VPS hosting Godaddy is recognizing when your website is ready to upgrade from shared to VPS hosting. Some of the parameters with which you can measure this readiness are: inadequate storage and memory space, the need for better security, and dedicated hosting services.
Godaddy is not the only company that offers VPS hosting services but it offers the user lots of attractive features. Chief amongst these features is its flexibility. Godaddy VPS hosting offers the user four VPS options for Windows and Linux plans plus three levels of managed services. It also ensures efficient security patching, backup, monitoring, etc
In addition to this, users are given root access to manage their server from the cPanel. The user is given access to ample processing power and unmetered bandwidth. A one year free SSL certificate and provision-free upgrade from one plan to another is also provided if the user wishes to upgrade.
FEATURES OF VPS GODADDY
- Full Administrative Access: Godaddy VPS offers users root admin to manage and control the Server, cPanel, and Plesk.
- Access to unlimited Bandwidth: With the unlimited bandwidth that Godaddy offers, traffic is decongested.
- Efficient in managing traffic with Linux or Windows
- Super-fast SSDs and maximum uptime is assured
- Servers are fully managed or semi-managed with optional cPanel: Although site owners can take care of management if they wish to; however, some managed services come with the Godaddy server as default. In addition to this, the company’s service providers take care of backups, security monitoring, patching as part of the semi-managed service.
- It is also affordable and users can get Godaddy for as low as $4.99 per month
- Improved security and Speed: this is one of the benefits that users derive by signing up for any of the managed plans. Godaddy ensures that there are maximum security and speed. This is achieved by pre-installing some security software such as firewalls, malware remover, etc.
- Scalability: With Godaddy, it is very easy to upgrade from one plan to the other. Thus, once your site outgrows the lower plans VPS hosting, you can easily upgrade to a plan that better suits your needs without the stress of re-provisioning your VPS. Site owners can scale their resources with ease.
Godaddy VPS hosting is very cost-effective as well as secure. As already mentioned, plans are as cheap as $4.99 per month. There are a variety of plans to choose from. Windows-based VPS plans and Linux-based plans, although the former is more expensive than the latter.
HOW TO UPGRADE TO A GODADDY SHARED HOSTING
Shared hosting allows you to share a server with a lot of other accounts. As a beginner, shared hosting is a good place to start. However, as the needs of your business grow, you can upgrade to other plans. Sharing a server as a beginner helps your business/website get the power and space it needs at a more affordable price than a dedicated server. So, once you decide it is shared hosting your business needs, the next step is identifying which of the shared hosting plans will be suitable.
Godaddy offers users three shared hosting plans:
- Windows-based plans that use Plesk
- Linux-based plans that make use of cPanel
- WordPress hosting
It is important to state these three solutions are unique, as such, their features and benefits differ too.
For each of the plans, the user will get the following:
- 24/7 Network security: Godaddy ensures that network security is monitored and that DDoS is put in place to ensure extra security. This eliminates the fear of the system being hijacked by malware.
- Adequate Resources Available: With just a click, the user can access the resources available for his site and this includes: access to more power, expand your CPU/RAM, I/O, and storage.
- Easy Domain name setup: Setting up your Domain name is a lot easier with Godaddy. With a click, you can link up your site to your domain name without any stress whatsoever.
- Easy-to-use cPanel: The cPanel is very easy to use and can be used to install software and apps, for backup of files, and general security and control of the site.
- Access to Numerous free apps via installation: With the Godaddy plans, the user gets access to numerous apps via installation and the good news is that all these files are free!These apps enable him to create forums, blogs, and CMS sites.
It is possible to outgrow the plan you are using. Again, the needs of your site may change over time. In such a situation, the next line of action will be to upgrade to a different plan. Generally, an upgrade may take from 10 to 30 minutes. However, if the site is large, it may take up to 24 hours.
With the following steps, you can upgrade to shared hosting on Godaddy.
Step 1: log in with your username or customer ID
Step 2: Navigate to your Godaddy product page
Step 3: Under Web hosting, select the shared hosting plan you want to use. Then, click on 'manage'
Step 4: when this is done, move to the account Dashboard and click on Account Actions. You will see many actions that can be carried out on your account. Select 'upgrade'.
Step 5: Select the Plan level you want to upgrade to and click upgrade.
Step 6: Follow the instructions to complete the process and checkout.
HOW TO SET UP A VPS GODADDY
Before we proceed to 'how to set up your VPS Godaddy', it is important to understand how you can purchase a VPS server from Godaddy.
To do this, open your Google Chrome and enter godaddy.com
Then, proceed to click on ‘All Products’. Godaddy has a lot of products to offer the buyer.
Move your cursor to the Hosting session and the 'Servers' group.
You will find three categories under the server session: Cloud servers, Virtual Private Servers, and Dedicated Servers. These are the hosting solutions that are available on GoDaddy.
Click on Virtual Private servers.
Immediately the next page loads, you will find options for Linux and Windows plans.
Select the one you would like to buy. There about 5 different plans for both Windows-based and Linux-based solutions. Then, click on ‘configure’.
Once you click on configure, you are taken to the Server management page. There are three options available on this page. These options are MANAGED, FULLY-MANAGED, and SELF-MANAGED.
If you want the first option, it will include Windows 2008 or Windows 2012, Parallels Plesk, Patching, Security, Monitoring, and back-up.
If you want the second option i.e. fully managed, it will come with Windows 2008 or Windows 2012, dedicated OF Server administrators, parallels Plesk, patching, security, monitoring, and back-up.
Then, the last option i.e. self-managed will include Windows 2008 or Windows 2012 but has no cPanel or backups but includes; command-line and ROP access for hardcore server pros.
Move your cursor down and select the number of months you would like to buy.
Click on 'Continue to Cart'
Now, click on 'Proceed to Checkout'
If you are a new customer, click on the 'continue' icon on the left-hand side.
However, if you already have an account with Godaddy, enter your username and password, then click on 'Log in'
Select the payment option you would like to use. Then, agree to the terms and conditions on the right-hand side. Then, click on 'Place your order.'
The payment process is completed. The system will immediately acknowledge your payment. Then, click on your profile at the top right-hand corner.
Click on 'visit my account.'
On the products tab, you will see the products that are listed. Click on 'Server'
It will show you a new account with a virtual private server written underneath.
Click on the manage button to prepare your VPS for use.
Now, this takes us to the Setting up of the VPS. You will need to set up the Server before you can use it.
SETTING UP A VPS GODADDY
When you have clicked on the ‘manage’ button, the next step is to fill up the server credentials.
The credentials to be filled out are;
- Server name which can be any name of your choice
- User name: the username must be 5-12 characters long. All the characters must be typed in lower case alphabets.
- Then, select a password. You must guard this password jealousy as access to it by a third party can jeopardize sensitive information on your data. Confirm the password.
Immediately your password is confirmed, next thing is to select a Data Centre Region.
Move to OPERATING SYSTEM and select an operating system for your Server. Options to select from are: CENTOS 6, CENTOS 7, FEDORA 20, WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2, WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2, and UBUNTU.
After selection of an operating system, click on 'create server'. The implication of clicking on 'create server' is that you are sending a request to the automatic system to create a server with the following configuration.
The next page says ‘setup in progress’
After 3 minutes, the process must have been completed and the status will now read ‘LIVE’.
Click on the Server name
You will find the Server details on the next page. Now, copy the IP address of the Server to Google chrome Search.
Type mstsc in the dialogue box
Paste the IP address on the Remote Desktop Connection Window.
Type the username of your server in the username box.
Then, click on ‘Connect’. A security Window opens up and if you want, you can select ‘Remember my Credentials’ so that you won’t go through the stress of typing in your user name every time.
Enter the password and click ‘OK’
Click YES on the Certificate Window...
After 30 seconds or more, the server manager will open.
Minimize the Server manager and click on Windows then, click on ‘ThisPC’
Now, you can see available disk space.
Click on ‘ThisPC’ and on properties to see the configuration of the server.
Click on Task manager and on ‘Performance’ to check other details.
Finally, you can disconnect from the VPS server. Click on ‘close’ to disconnect.
Your VPS GoDaddy is ready for use.
HOW TO POINT MY DOMAIN TO GODADDY VPS HOSTING
The following step will help you point your domain to Godaddy VPS hosting
- LOG IN TO Godaddy.com and click on My Account
- Move your cursor to Web Hosting. Click on manage. This command takes you to the cPanel.
- Move to the Domains section and click on Addon Domains.
Type in your current or existing Domain name in the space for ‘New Domain Name’, the rest of the details will be automatically filled out. Then, click on Add Domain. When you have done this, click on Home. This will take you back to the control panel.
- Click on DNS Manager just under the Domains section.
Click Edit zone under the New Domain name section.
Move to the Zone File Editor page and scroll to the name server section.
Under the Name Server section, there are two lines of text. Copy both.
- Now, log in to your former Domain i.e. the domain you want to change from. Move to the Dashboard and click on View.
- At this stage, you can now select the domain you want to direct to Godaddy and select Transfer DNS to VPS host. Paste the texts you copied earlier in the two empty boxes labeled 1 and 2.
- Save changes.
Learn more :