VPSs, short for virtual private servers, provide an affordable yet benefit filled option for web hosting. One great thing is that you get all the benefits of a dedicated server at a reduced price. There is a variety of VPS hosting providers available for you to choose from.
We realize that selecting a VPS host can be challenging, so we have outlined tips to help you select the best. You will also find information on making a VPS, the benefits of VPS servers, cheap VPS hosting, and more in this article.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS hosts websites on a shared server. Thus, all the websites hosted on that particular VPS server share the resources. The shared resources are allocated and managed using a hypervisor. The hypervisor is responsible for the smooth and efficient running of all the sites hosted on that specific VPS.
VPS hosting operates differently from another website hosting. Unlike shared hosting, where server resources can overlap between the different sites, VPS hosting resources are dedicated to site activity. The VPS server's operation ensures that individual sites do not share processing, disk space, RAM, and other server resources. Essentially, VPS servers are created from a single server.
How Can I Make My Own VPS Hosting?
We will walk you through the process of making your VPS hosting. Follow these simple steps.
- Step 1: Select a virtualization server to run. There are several virtualization servers available like VMWare, OpenVZ, VirtualBox.
- Step 2: Run this virtualization server on your host server. For greater efficacy, we advise that you enable virtualization features for your host machine.
- Step 3: Next, create the configurations for your guest machine. Use the graphical user interface provided by your preferred virtualization server.
- Step 4: Once you are done setting up the machine configurations, it is time to install your preferred operating system.
- Step 5: Viola! You have created your virtual private server from scratch.
How do I Manage My VPS Server?
Now it is one thing to create your VPS and quite another thing to manage it. While there are managed VPS plans available, some people like to opt for the unmanaged plans. Most of these people are developers who have the necessary knowledge on how to manage a VPS server. However, if you are one of those with little knowledge of managing the VPS server, have no fear; we have you covered.
While unmanaged VPS plans come with a whole lot of responsibility, they are more flexible and allow you to set up your server as you desire. You will need to know the basics about manipulating the control panel and installing the necessary tools.
We have listed concise steps on how you can manage your VPS server below.
- Step 1: The first step in managing your VPS is uploading the appropriate software and familiarizing yourself with the server environment. Learn about how to navigate your primary control panel.
- Step 2:Log in to the control panel of your desired software. Logging in helps you access all the necessary tools you will need to manage the server.
- Step 3: Alternatively, you can access your VPS via the command-line interface. This method is a fail-safe just in case you have difficulties accessing the VPS Server via other ways.
- Step 4: Manage your domain name system server. For this, connect to the DNS you want to run the VPS on.
- Bear in mind that you must have registered the domain or transferred them first.
- Step 5: Once you are done with step 4, log in to your VPS customer profile and click on my domain. Choose the VPS domain you want to manage and then click on manage domain.
- After this, your VPS domains are as good to go. If you need to manage them again, go to management tools, and select manage DNS.
- Step 6: Install your required software applications. Different VPS servers offer different interfaces to help you accomplish this task.
What are the Best Cheap VPS Hosting Providers?
As promised in the early sections of this article, we will spill the juice on some of the best and yet cheap VPS hosting providers available currently. We will also prepare you for what to expect from these cheap VPS providers. From the information we provide, you can decide if a cheap VPS is what you want for your website and business.
There are several VPS hosting servers available, and some of them come at pocket-friendly prices. This range of VPS options makes selecting one difficult. However, we will outline some of our best VPS options that are affordable. Feel free to select a VPS from any of the cheap VPS servers on our list.
Hostinger is one of the popular yet cheap VPS hosting services. It allows you to run your server on any operating system you choose, both Windows and Linux. Hostinger provides you with round-the-clock support options. While there is no phone support, users can access the live chat options and even chat in the different supported languages.
- IPv4 and IPv6 internet protocols.
- WordPress specific plans
- Shared, dedicate, and cloud hosting plans
- One virtual CPU
- Up to 20 Gb storage space and 1 Gb RAM
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Easy to set up and manage
- Root access to the server
Cost: $3.95 monthly for the cloud VPS plan.
Vultr offers SSD VPS servers for building and deploying cloud infrastructures. Vultr provides you with standard and high-powered compute options. You can choose to deploy the custom ISO. Lets look at some of the features of Vultr VPS.
- Provides you with one CPU, 512 MB of RAM, and 10 GB SSD.
- Hourly billing till you reach the VPS capacity
- Unmanaged VPS server
- Has numerous one-click installation features like WordPress and cPanel.
- Makes several user guides, tutorials, and documents on how to work with the server available on the Vultr website
- Paid add-ons you can subscribe for backups, firewalls, DDoS protection, etc.
Cost: The Vultr VPS basic plan costs $2.50 per month. Ease of setup
3. A2 Hosting
A2 Hosting is another well-known hosting provider. They have plans for shared, dedicated, and VPS server hosting. Their VPS hosting plans come at affordable prices and allow you to select between managed and unmanaged VPS plans.
- A2 VPS hosting supports Linux operating system only.
- Offers you root access
- Can be used with cPanel and SSD
- Allows you to use one-click software installers.
- One CPU, 20 GB storage space, and 512 MB of RAM.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Ease of use and customization
- A2 Hosting offers 24/7 phone and lives chat support.
- A2 VPS hosting also offers a ticket-based system and knowledge center.
- Several customization options allow you to configure and control your server easily.
Cost: the cheapest hosting plan for unmanaged VPS is $5.00 per month, while managed plans cost around $25 per month.
4. InMotion Hosting
InMotion Hosting is one other web hosting platform that offers users several hosting options. They are also known for their cheap VPS hosting. With InMotion VPS hosting, you are provided with managed and cloud-managed hosting plans.
- High server uptime
- Provide you with root access
- Round-the-clock support.
- It is compatible with different Linux operating system distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS.
- Give you access to one CPU, 1 GB RAM, and 25 GB of storage.
- Offers both live chat and phone support
- Self-managed and cloud-managed VPS options
- Exclusive Ansible control node. This control node is a framework for open-source authorization.
Cost: InMotion self-managed VPS plans start at $5.00 per month. Ease of setup
What Can I Expect from Cheap VPS Hosting?
If youre working with a slim budget and want a good hosting platform for your site, you should think of VPS hosting. With VPS server hosting, each site has its own virtual space on the server. VPS hosting is great for websites with medium or high traffic volume.
Utilizing cheap VPS hosting is a good way to cut down on costs while growing your business. Some of these cheap VPS will not offer the high-end tools and features that the pricier alternatives may. However, they will provide you with the basics that you need to set up and maintain your site on the server.
There are several cheap VPS hosting options available, each with a varying performance index. For an overview of what to expect from these cheap VPS hosting platforms, keep reading. We will address the basics of what you can expect below.
- Easy Customization - VPS hosting offers you lots of options for customizing the configuration of your server. Most VPS providers, for example, will give you the option of selecting the operating system you want to use on the server. You can also select the number of resources you want to enable on the server.
- Improved Uptime - VPS providers, including those with cheap plans, promise little or no server downtime. The improved uptime is essential for user experience, better conversion, and overall website health.
- Managed or Unmanaged - VPS providers allow you to choose what kind of VPS provider you want to use. You can select managed or unmanaged VPS plans. Managed VPS plans are easier to handle. However, developers and system administrators usually opt for unmanaged plans because of the flexibility it offers them.
When Would I Use VPS Hosting?
We advise website owners whose sites have a medium to high traffic volume to upgrade to VPS hosting. If you currently use shared hosting plans, but you have noticed that your site requires resources greater than what shared hosting can provide, you should also consider using VPS hosting.
VPS hosting is regarded as the next step for websites that have outgrown the resource limit of shared hosting platforms. Once you exceed this resource limit, you may notice that your website begins to lag, and your website does not function optimally anymore. If you are currently experiencing all these, then it is time for you to switch to VPS hosting. VPS hosting provides you with a fine blend of dedicated and shared server hosting.
It is advised that you run your site on a VPS server from the get-go in some cases. For example, sites requiring a stable and swift environment are involved in payments and secure data storage. Such site owners have a lot to gain from using a virtual private server. For one, VPSs help improves site security and reduce the risk of identity theft and security breaches.
How do I Know When to Choose VPS Hosting
When you realize that your site gets a high volume of traffic that cannot be managed by the shared host or dedicated server, it is time to upgrade to a VPS. With a VPS, you will still share a physical server with other users, but each site in the VPS is allocated a portion of the server and its resources.
A Virtual Private Server provides you with higher power and better resource management. With it, you can handle a large influx of traffic effectively. Thus, if your site regularly experiences spikes in traffic at specific times, it may be time for you to migrate to VPS hosting.
Here are a few other reasons that would warrant you to switch to VPS. Read through them and evaluate whether you need a VPS.
- Website resources surpass the resource limit of your shared server.
- The site requires custom applications or modules not supported by your shared host.
- The site needs root access for the server.
- You require a virtual development environment to develop and test your software.
- The site handles sensitive information or processes financial transactions.
VPS hosting offers you access to vast server resources and control. Its an excellent solution for sites that experience a regular influx of high traffic. VPS hosting platforms like A2, Hostinger, Vultr, and InMotion offer you great services at pocket-friendly prices.
Learn more :