A server is a computer or computer program that stores and provides resources, services, data, and others; to clients that are mainly computers over a network. There are various types of a server which includes web servers, mail servers, and file servers. Each server has a specific purpose it runs on. The specified server may serve data to systems (computers) that are within a local area network (LAN) or within a wide area network (WAN) that is over the internet.
While Virtual is a term used to describe an interaction that is not physical or does not occur in a person-to-person environment, to put it simply, it is in existence but not physically present or felt.
A virtual private server (VPS) is a virtual device or machine. It is created with software virtualization sold as a service. This virtualization is done using an internet hosting service to meet the various needs of users.
Simply put, a VPS has various operating systems available, and the user is provided with superuser privileges (having the leverage to install any software that runs with it), granting them access to configure their various environments without restriction.
What is AWS Virtual Private Server?
Virtual private server AWS in this context is also known as amazon virtual private cloud (VPC). It is an instance that is created inside a sever. Having a virtual private server means that the individual has total control within his/her networking environment, including the range of various IP addresses, subnets creation, the configuration of route tables, etc.
Virtual private server (VPS) is one of the primary hosting services; which people use for web development. It practically Imitates dedicated server environments within a shared server. It uses virtual technology to prompt a physical server (making it look as though it is a single server).
Virtual private server (VPS) has been made a well-favored choice. The reason is that it is lower in cost than other hosting services and also provides high performance, security, reliability, etc. It is termed the bridge between the least expensive to the most expensive web hosting plan.
The VPS is identical to many of the attributes of a physical server, with similar processes, activities, and functionality.
In a nutshell, virtual private server hosting is more dominant than shared hosting. The vital thing about VPS hosting is that it mimics a dedicated hosting environment but with assigned system resources and is divided between the various sites based on the pricing plan.
When are you ready to go from shared to VPS hosting?
- You know you need a VPS when your site starts loading slowly due to lagging when users of your website frequently complain of slow loading times or error while loading.
- When your hosting plan can't house specific software anymore.
- When you are expecting jump traffic. When your fan base is growing, and you observe an increase in web traffic.
- When your traffic, business, profit is thriving: You are beginning to gain more traffic because your business is expanding, and there is a high demand for the goods/services that your website offers.
- When you want more support, and there is a need for more security: When your website is involved in credit card information, and you are beginning to suspect a breach in security. To also prevent a malicious user from gaining access to your site and preventing viruses and malware from entering your site from other people you are sharing the space with.
- When you want root access to the server: When you want to make changes to the server, you can't do it cause of the restriction that comes with shared hosting.
- When you require more storage space: There is an increase in demand from your website, and the database provided for you has reached its storage limit.
Who can I pay to set up a VPS hosting for me?
Have it in mind that there are various providers that you can pay to help you set up your very own virtual private server (VPS).
Setting up a virtual private server (VPS) is not difficult in amazon web service (AWS) using amazon light-sail.
Amazon light-sail is a user-friendly cloud program that provides everything needed to improve/build a website or application. It is built for reliability and high performance.
Light-sail fundamentally configures security environments, access, and networking, taking away the stress of launching your server. It is packaged with all the resources you need into a single predictable price.
With a few clicks, you can select a configuration that suits you from the menu. After that, you should instantly launch a virtual machine that has been pre-configured with SSD-based block storage, DNS management of registered domains and static IP addresses, load balancers, content delivery network (CDN) distributions, and snapshots(backups). The user can launch any operating system (OS) that suits them the most with a cost-effective pricing plan.
As your ideas grow, light-sail can easily handle the increase in traffic and heavier workloads.
If you are a new user of amazon services, there are steps to be taken to create your very own VPS. Before that, we'd briefly learn about what (AWS) is.
What is AWS?
Amazon web service (AWS) is a branch of Amazon to supply an on-demand cloud computing platform and various APIs to clients. This includes; individuals, big and small companies, startups, and governments with pay-as-you-go pricing (you only pay for the services that you make use of).
AWS is made up of different products and services in terms of cloud computing. For example, servers, storage, networking, remote computing, web development, app development, etc.
Amazon web service is not the only cloud infrastructure provider, but it is one of the highly recommended ones. Currently, amazon web service has 76 availability zones where its servers can be found.
The previously mentioned serviced regions are segmented in sequence to allow users to coordinate and configure geographical limits on their services (if they desire to do so) and render security by creating a variety of the physical locations in which data is being held. In general, amazon web service spans across 245 countries and territories.
Amazon web services include various services like Elastic cloud compute (EC2) that allows users to have their virtual computers with actual RAM, hard disk drive (HDD), or solid-state drive (SSD) storage.It also gives you a choice of OS amongst others and is accessible over the internet at all times. These properties can be disposed of at any given time when the user no longer needs them.
Steps to be taken when creating your virtual private server (VPS):
- Opening an amazon free tier account by visiting the AWS website.
- In the menu, click create an instance.
- Select a location (availability zone) for your instance.
- Select your desired operating system (OS).
- Choose your instance plan. In this case, the elastic compute cloud (EC2).
- Enter a name for your instance.
Amazon web service (AWS) has made documentation available for the various services they offer and how they can be fully utilized. So, you don’t have to worry about picking a service that is not suitable for you because you can read about it, and there are also videos available that can enlighten you Without being scared that you will be debited. You can also set up your light-sail using the services within the free tier account; know-how it works and further test which further plans in light-sail will be the best for you.
A free tier is a starter pack that Amazon has made available for the first-time users of amazon web services (AWS). With an amazon free tier account, you can spin various instances(services) within the range of 12 months. And you will not be debited provided that the instances that were spun are within the free tier services that have been made available.
Another plus/gain from light-sail is that it is scalable. Even as your ideas grow or your traffic triples, it can easily scale in or scale-out, and it can scale up or scale down.
Scaling in is when your website is not in high demand. So, to save your money, it helps you shut down instances (services) that are not in use. While scale-out is when your website is in high demand, it automatically spins up instances(services) needed at that time. It also applies to scaling up and scaling down.
Who can set up VPS hosting for me?
Anyone that is good and has been certified with administrative privileges can help you set up VPS hosting. But, as earlier stated, you can set up VPS hosting on your own.
A quick one, the majority of web servers uses Unix OS. This means you need to use some commands customized to that type of operating system.
There are different means/ways to connect to a website. But for this context, you will need to use secure shell access (SSH), which is a type of protocol that gives you access to remote servers. When you are connected, you will be able to issue commands to it. Once you have your VPS instance up and running, a set of credentials will be provided to you, including your server's IP address, the username(root), and a password for your root account.
The next step will be to install an interface since you will be doing most of the work using your command-line interface (CLI). When your desired interface has been installed, you'd enter your provided server IP address in the spot provided for it and select your connection type that, in this case, it's SSH, then click open. Once the command line window is opened, you will see a prompt for you to enter your login details and quicker to enter other required credentials. With these steps, your VPS is running. You can now decide to update your server and create your security groups amongst others.
Transferring Data and Files to AWS VPS Host
Furthermore, after your VPS has been fully configured, you’d have to transfer all your data and files from shared hosting to VPS hosting with the following steps;
- Transfer your domain name to a domain register(optional).
- Exporting our site database and downloading various site files: Depending on the control panel your site uses. You can backup and restore their different interfaces or backup the entire website if they are scared about damaging the website or losing files during the process. Once successfully backed up, downloaded, and opened, go to your site manager and click on a new site, then fill the fields that appear. When you are done, click connect and your files are ready to be transferred. Note: the file will be stored with the (name) .SQL
- Uploading your files and importing your database to your new VPS: Now, you are going to move the various files and databases that you transferred to your new virtual private server. Note:this step can be done with the command-line interface (CLI). Log into your control panel in your virtual private server. Click new database; then import the. SQL file you uploaded earlier.
- Point your IP address to your new server: Go to your domain name server (DNS) provider and change the value assigned to the record so it can now direct to your new server.
Software virtualization is the process whereby software is used to create a theoretical layer over computer hardware that permits a single computer hardware component to be divided into different virtual computers. That means only one hardware computer will be physical, while several virtual computers are made available within that one hardware.
Setting up a virtual private server (VPS) when upgrading from shared hosting is not as difficult as it seems to be, as it gives you more features to tweak and work it. Before you start having fun with it, you need to be grounded and acquainted with it and also with the command line that will make things easier as time goes on.
The Virtual Private Server AWS provides for users of its platform is highly effective and affordable, providing you with access to unlimited off-premise resources; that is entirely yours to customize to your taste.
Learn more :