Hosting a personal cloud server for your business is a step towards success. For every successful business, there is a personal cloud server keeping the data records. As long as a cloud server provides enough hosting advantages for its users, the main setback occurs when finding the best providers. In this article, you will discover the top 5 Personal cloud storage solutions online. With this, you can streamline your choices during your search. Alongside, this provides information on the benefits of a personal cloud server and how to host a personal cloud server.
Cloud storage stores media, files, and other data relevant to the company's growth. Likewise, your service provider manages and maintains your cloud server without worrying you out. Also, a personal cloud server replaces the old physical storage method, such as a hard drive. Since big companies like Goggle now the cloud server, many businesses patronize them for their hosting solutions.
The cloud server is like hosting your assets or valuables until you need them. Unlike the monetary world, cloud server doesn't keep physical assets such as car or house. Instead, it keeps valuables refer to as digital assets. However, the most important thing is how easy it is for your clients to access the needed files.
Benefits of Running Your Personal Cloud
There are several reasons you should run your cloud. However, this article focuses on the most important reasons for every business.
- Excellent backup service: Cloud storage is excellent for digital marketers. With a personal cloud server, you can back up your digital contents to ensure easy recovery whenever your data are lost. Also, you can set up an automatic backup routine on your cloud server. By so doing, your data are automatically safe in case of any physical disaster such as a fire outbreak.
- Manage devices storage spaces: Another benefit of running a personal cloud is managing your device storage effectively.
- Saves cost: Since cloud storage saves your data for a long time, it reduces the amount you would spend on frequent maintenance. If you own a big business that requires large data backup, the personal cloud server is the right option. Hence, you might spend more money on troubleshooting whenever a technical problem arises.
- 24/7 Access: When you run a personal cloud server, you can access your files at any time. This includes documents and company information. With a password, you can access your data from around the world as long as you connect to your internet.
Choosing Your Cloud Server
There are several factors that you should consider when choosing your server. Moreso, these factors depend on the features you are looking out for. Moreover, many providers have options with unique features. It provides a wide range of choices for users. You wouldn't be bored during your cloud search.
We understand the difficulty with choosing a suitable plan for you, especially when you are new to the game. Hence, below are tips that would help out in making your decision.
- Cloud purpose: Often, we recommend IDrive and goggle drive for personal hosting solutions. Why is this so? They offer a wide range of storage capacities with a fixed time for payment. That is, you can either pay monthly or annually. However, consider the security measures in place and the version that would best run your server.
- Versatility: Another thing you should consider is ensuring your cloud server will be compatible with other devices. Although you can access your server from anywhere around the world, it's usually excellent when it supports every. For instance, you can only access some cloud server with a Windows device or an Apple device. You cannot check your data freely on your android unless you use the supported devices. With this, the versatility of your server is limited.
- Cloud performance: Amidst other factors, your cloud performance is one factor you should consider. How fast is your cloud storage when uploading files? More so,does it load in less than 2 seconds? Also, they should consider the duration it takes for the files you upload to sync. It is crucial for organizations with a large number of working teams. It reduces the time spent downloading files from one working desk to another. However, it might be handy to estimate the cloud performance of your provider. The tactic to this is taking a practical approach. For instance, you can try out the free plans many companies provide. By so doing, you have a picture of what is ahead.
- Backup services: The backup feature is the most sought-for function in cloud hosting solutions. Hence, make sure your provider gives an excellent backup solution. With a cloud server, you should be able to restore lost data with no stress. Likewise, you can revise an old version if you don't like an existing one.
The purpose of owning a cloud server also influences the option you should choose. Whether you are hosting for personal purposes or business reasons, make sure it suits your needs.
Public cloud storage can perform several functions, but its freedom is restricted. Nonetheless, you can manage this setback for a personal cloud server. For business purposes, we recommend an all-around server hosting solution. Likewise, a business owner should consider a hosting solution that supports all types of operating systems. However, many cloud hosting solutions out there don't support Linux OS. The reason hasn't been proven, but many developers restrict Linux OS because it's open-source software and community-based. Unlike Linux, Windows OS requires a license fee before installation, which gives it the ultimate security. Windows OS is costlier and less popular than Linux. Moreso during your research, find out if your cloud hosting supports Linux operating system.
Some browsers allow you to store files on the cloud, regardless of the server's operating system. However, big organizations' data is at risk when they own an open hosting solution. Free browsers cloud hosting are not trusted, which means competitors have an increased chance of accessing your information. Also, it would restrict you or your team from downloading particular applications on your computer.
If your cloud solution is short of any of the services listed above, you should check another personal cloud service provider. Moreso, make sure your provider allows the automatic backup function.
Top 5 Personal Cloud Storage Solutions
In the modern age, users have shifted from local storage to remote storage solutions. Howbeit, there are many cloud providers online. We have listed out the best five personal cloud solutions based on the quality and reviews. It will help you form a better decision when looking for a hosting company.
The following hosting solutions allow you to access various, such s spreadsheets, Word docs, and PDFs. They provide remote access to locate your files easily, either from home or the workplace. However, the providing solutions listed below have various prices, depending on the security level and the file type you need. Nevertheless, these solutions provide user-friendly applications. Also, you can customize your cloud server based on the business needs.
1. Amazon cloud drive
Amazon provides maximum security for user's data. Each time the company's server transfer data, it encrypts the information using 28-bit RC4.
Price list per annum, which varies with memory size.
- 500GB - $250 per annum
Price list based on media:
- 250 imported songs - Free
- 250,000 imported songs - $25 per annum
Supported devices and OS: Android, OS X, iOS, Windows, and Kindle Fire.
- Customized photo apps for Android devices and iOS.
- Kindle integration on Kindle devices
- video playback on Android devices and Kindle.
2. Goggle drive
Unlike Amazon cloud drive, Goggle encrypts both files and data. During data transfer, it uses TLS and HTTPS, which is 2-factor authentication.
Price list per annum, which varies with memory size:
- 15GB - free
- 100GB - $5 per annum
Supported devices and OS: Android, Windows, iOS, and OS X.
Provides tools that allow users to edit documents, spreadsheets, and create a slide presentation
Dropbox secures users' data by enabling 2 step verification process. Likewise, it uses 256-bit AES for data encryption.
Price list per annum, which varies with memory size.
- 2GB - free
- 100GB - $99 per annum
Supported devices and OS: Android, OS X, iOS, Kindle Fire, Windows, Blackberry.
Dropbox allows third-party to upload files to your Dropbox account.
4. Microsoft OneDrive
OneDrive encrypts data by allowing strong passwords backward. Also, it provides the SSL certificate for verification.
Price list per annum, which varies with memory size
- 7GB - free
- 20GB - $10 per annum
- 50GB - $25 per annum
- 100GB - $50 per annum
Supported devices and OS: Windows, Andriod, iOS, and OS X.
Allow you to carry out extra tasks on Excel, OneNote, Word, and PowerPoint.
5. Sugar Sync
SugarSync protects files by storing them with 256-bit AES encryption.
Price list per annum, which varies with memory size.
- 60GB - $7.50 per annum
- 100GB - $10 per annum
- 250GB - $25 per annum
Supported devices and OS: Android, OS X, iOS, and Windows.
Allow users to backup media.
How to Host Your Personal Cloud?
You need to know how to host your cloud, to avoid being a victim of online fraud. Online fraud is becoming rampant in recent years. It creates a setback for new users owning personal cloud servers. Today, many users are successful cloud owners by knowing the right approach. You either host a personal cloud from top companies, as listed above, or run the technical setup in your room.
Hosting your cloud removes a standing third-party such as google drive. However, you should be a server expert to install and run applications successfully. You can contact a service provider for a technical way out. There are various tools you can use to host your cloud server. These include Ampps, NextCloud, OwnCloud, Cozy, Seafile, SparkleShare, and Bittorent Sync. For each, you first need to create a local server. However, this article explains the installation process with NextCloud.
As mentioned earlier, the first step is to create a local account with NextCloud. However, there is another method, which is more popular than owning a local account. You can set up a personal cloud server on the internet using an online hosting platform such as DigitalOcean, via domain name. You can check our other article with a detailed explanation on creating a domain name.
Below are steps on hosting your cloud with NextCloud:
- Login to your DigitalOcean account, and choose to create.
- Choose your preferred Linux operator, usually Ubuntu
- The next stepsgenerating an IP address and subdomain name
- After successfully creating a domain, configure Ubuntu and install NextCloud Server.
- To configure your Ubuntu, launch the console on the left side of your DigitalOcean dashboard.
- Then, enter your root details (username and password).
- Next, configure your system with this command:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
- Install NextCloud snap package manager
sudo snap install nextcloud
- Install NextCloud server
sudo nextcloud. manual-install user pass
- Lastly, enable HTTPS, HTTP, and OpenSSH connections by activating firewalls. Then, enter the following command:
sudo ufw allow OpenSSH sudo ufw allow 80,443/TCP sudo ufw enable
- Provide an active email address while installing NextCloud, so you can receive your notifications, especially If you purchased the SSL certificate. More so, you would be required to renew the certificate on the stipulated date.
- You can protect your data further by setting your subdomain as the trusted party.
- Before launching the personal cloud server, make sure you meet the requirements. Also, go through the terms and conditions properly.
Learn more :