Choosing the right VPS Provider can improve your business in ways you never imagined. Thus, it is important to take your time and do your due diligence in making this choice. In the light of this, there are a number of considerations you need to factor in to make that choice that you will thoroughly enjoy with zero regrets. A lot is also dependent on both your own needs and the needs of your site.
In the light of the above, here are some of the standard factors to consider when choosing a host.
- ROOT ACCESS: In making your choice, you should be more favourably disposed towards a server that gives you the greatest control. More so if you are tech-savvy, a greater control, flexibility and customization over your server are some of the best things that could happen to you. A highly flexible and customized server is user-friendly, will give you the feel of home while ensuring you enjoy the best user experience obtainable. Thus, if you have root access, you can specifically choose other additional software that meets the unique needs of your site. You can also go the extra mile of installing software that beef up and safeguard the security of your site against interference from malwares.
- UPTIME: This is a very important factor to consider. Every site needs a provider that can guarantee at least 98% uptime. It is true that no hosting provider can guarantee 100% uptime; however, the user should look out for the one that gives the highest guarantee. It may not be optimal but, the lower the chances of your site going down, the better!
- BANDWIDTH: The bandwidth is an indispensable part of a site. All sites rely on the bandwidth to convey data and conduct traffic. Thus, with regard to this, the broader the bandwidth, the faster the traffic. This stands out as a very vital factor to consider. You need ample bandwidth if your web pages must load fast. A broad bandwidth is key for a high level of user satisfaction and best experience in a digital word were people expect thing to happen within the shortest time possible.
- PRICE: Price is another important factor to be considered. Most sites already have a budget within which they would want their hosting services to revolve around, so, they may not be willing to take on a service provider that goes beyond their budget. However, Pricing is not much of a matter of cheapness as much it is a matter of satisfaction- deriving the highest satisfaction at the most affordable price. An average user will go for plans and hosts that their prices are pocket friendly and within budget. However, it is always better to go for a provider that his services are worth the amount paid- a provider that gives the user value for his money. Thus, a slightly more expensive provider with better features is always a better option than the cheap provider with little or nothing to offer.
TOP 5 REASONS TO GO FOR VPS HOSTING
In recent times, VPS has gained a lot of popularity and has become one of the most desirable hosting solutions even.The reason for this preference is not far-fetched. It adequately bridges the wide gap between the shared hosting and the dedicated hosting. It provides a level, middle ground between the cons of shared hosting and the pros of dedicated hosting.
A VPS is an unintegrated machine on a physical server that has its own IP address and runs on its own operating system. Since its users have direct root access to the OS, they can install software that suits their needs. A VPS server guarantees more security and stability. VPS hosting is efficient as well as affordable.
VPS hosting is a suitable option for small and medium-sized businesses that have plans to expand the volume of traffic on their site. This is because the server essentially provides a very high uptime as well as faster loading. This is a plus because most site users do not want to load a page for more than 5 seconds.
IS VPS HOSTING FOR YOU?
Reasons Why It may be the Best Fit for your Site
A whole lot of benefits are attached to VPS hosting. One outstanding benefit is that it gives you the affordability of shared hosting while enabling you enjoy many of the exclusive features of the dedicated hosting. More specific benefits include the following:
- PERFORMANCE: With VPS hosting, you enjoy optimal performance and get the best out of the server. The VPS enables your site’s visitors enjoy a faster loading time all the time. Also, the probability of downtimes occurring is reduced to the barest minimum. The performance is further enhanced by the manner in which resources are allotted.
- CONTROL AND CUSTOMIZATION: The VPS server enables you to manoeuvre through the system and to change anything to suit your personal and site’s needs. This is made possible by the dedicated operating system. VPS plans give the user full administrative control. With the VPS, You get to use your own private operating system. The VPS grants you root access and control. You have ample time to install your own server applications. These applications include; MySQL, PHP etc. Basically, you can effect changes and include services that are suitable to your specific needs.
- DEDICATED RESOURCES: One outstanding feature and benefit of VPS Hosting is that, just like dedicated hosting, it gives the user more disk space, RAM and CPU.Again, it reduces the rate at which technical issues and challenges occur to almost zero. Also, it ensures there are no downtimes.
- NEW SERVERS: With VPS hosting, the user is at liberty to add new servers. VPS enables you to leverage on Growth Spurts and make the most of it. VPS is designed to enable businesses to utilize new business opportunities as fast as possible. VPS recognizes the need proactiveness in the dynamic, ever-changing business world.
- FLEXIBILITY: VPS allows you to select and to use any OS you want. In addition to this, you can also install different, useful software for specific functions on the server.This means, you can install software tailored to suit your needs. Also, you can configure your server to suit your website’s needs. VPS hosting does away with the restrictions that are part and parcel of shared hosting with regard to configuration.
- PERSONALIZED SPACE AND PRIVACY: Through the technology of virtualization, VPS has been able to separate one user from the other with partitions or virtual spaces. Apart from the advantage of not sharing your operating system with other users, there is the added advantage of data privacy. This means that, no other websites on the server can have access to your files, directly or indirectly. In this way, tight security and privacy is maintained.
VPS is way more secure than shared hosting. It reduces substantially the possibility of websites and data being interfered with or hacked. Host providers take a number of measures to ensure that the security of the system is not jeopardized. These include: firewalls and proxy, operating system updates and patching, intrusion monitoring and backups.
- COST-EFFECTIVENESS: VPS provides a hybrid hosting solution between shared hosting and dedicated hosting. This is both with regard to efficiency and cost. VPS hosting is not as capital intensive as dedicated hosting but on the same hand, surpasses shared hosting in efficiency.
- EASY HOSTING UPGRADES/SCALABILITY: This is one of the most attractive features of VPS hosting. VPS makes it very easy to upgrade to a bigger hosting plan when your business outgrows the plan you are using. In the same vein, it also makes it easy to step down to a smaller package/plan if the current plan you are using is too big.
- WORKING AND WELL-MAINTAINED HARDWARE SYSTEM: VPS host providers ensure that your hardware is well taken care of and maintained. It recognizes the importance of a strong and working hardware system to performance. Thus, it ensures that hardware is kept in a good state for as long as possible.
- BETTER AND ADVANCED SECURITY: The importance of security on websites cannot be stressed enough. Compared to Shared hosting which is sometimes porous with regard to security, VPS hosting provides better and more reliable security. Also, VPS Hosting enables you to upgrade server security and to take extra security measures. The partitioning makes it impossible for an infected VPS account in the same server to be able to affect yours.
With the above mentioned benefits, wouldn’t you want to try out VPS hosting today? It is a perfect fit for fast growing businesses and websites. Moreover, it promises optimal performance at a very affordable Price.
EASY STEPS TO SET UP VPS HOSTING FOR YOUR SITE
Wondering what steps to take to set up VPS hosting for your site? The following steps will help you know all you need to do.
Step 1: LEARN HOW TO CONNECT TO YOUR VPS VIA SECURE SHELL ACCESS
Secure shell enables you to issue direct commands to your server. It provides you access to remote servers. Again, SSH stands out for its strong encryption and authentication procedure which ensures its tight security. A good knowledge of SSH enables you to manage your server efficiently.
A number of credentials will be assigned to you once you sign up for a VPS plan. Viz:
- Server’s IP address
- A username
- A password for your root account
These credentials enable you to access your server. For you to sign up, you need to enter your server’s IP address as mentioned above. The port setting must be at the default value of 22.
At this stage, you should have noticed an option that says to select which connection type you want to use; go ahead and choose SSH. Then, click on ‘open’. A command will open and you will see an instruction to provide your login details. Enter your username (root) and its password.
After this is done, you will see an instruction to enter more commands. Leave the command line window open. This is just the first step out of many. There is still a long way to go.
Step 2: UPDATE YOUR SERVER
The next step to take after login is to look for updates available and to update your server. Updates are very important. Outdated software and application will open up your server to security challenges. Again, software applications are most times improved upon with each update. You don’t want to miss out on these improvements by skipping this step.
So, for this stage, first type in the ‘apt update’ command and press enter. This enables your server for new and available updates. When it is done with this search, enter ‘apt dist-upgrade’ and watch all servers’ packages get upgraded. Once this is done, reboot your server. Close the command line window and login again.
Step 3: SET UP ANOTHER USER ACCOUNT AND MODIFY ITS PRIVILEGES
This set is necessary because, a root user can wreck a lot of havoc if you are unsure of what you are doing. This is because; a root user has root and complete access to your system’s settings. Thus, one mistake can cause mishaps that you never imagined. While typing in your username, include a sudo prefix. The sudo prefix will help you go through again before running any command and in so doing, reduces the chance of errors occurring.
Step 4: PUBLIC KEY AUTHENTICATION
With this technique, you generate both public and private. This provides even better security than passwords. Your server stores your public key and uses it to authenticate your private key which you alone have access to.
Just go ahead and click on the Generate button. The program will generate a public key for you then, you will set up a passphrase for your keys.
Download and save your private key. Then, upload the saved file.
The next step is to authenticate your password by running the command: sudo nano/etc/sshd_config. Delete the sign before the line that reads ‘PasswordAuthentication’ and change the ‘yes’ to ‘no’. When this is done, you can now save the changes and reboot your server. This enables you to login using your private key and password alone in subsequent logins.
Step 5: SECURITY (FIREWALL SET UP)
Secure your server by setting up a firewall right away. This will protect it from a lot of malware attacks that may be directed at it.
Now, you know what to look out for when choosing a VPS host provider, the benefits of VPS hosting and easy steps to take when setting up a VPS. Reach out to us right away to guide you through the process of setting up your VPS. Our skilled experts ensure that everything is perfectly done to give you the smooth hosting experience you desire.
Learn more :