The use of the Virtual Private Server (VPS) for hosting websites has been the most popular in India today. The VPS gives free permission to any website created to perform its tasks independently even though such websites are hosted on the physical, virtual machine. This VPS gives you all root access without providing this information to any other person. Hence, you are totally in charge of what runs on your server.
Below are lists of the best VPS hosting that will give you full SSH root access, dedicated server space, good cloud infrastructure, and unlimited resources at the most affordable price.
- Inmotion Hosting: Inmotion has been fabulous over a couple of years as they offer a remarkable 75 GB storage, which is more than what most VPS hosting providers give. Inmotion also comes with a 4 TB bandwidth and free SSL, free domain and SSD drives, and a great data backup.
- BigRock: BigRock features hosting of your domains and subsequent creation of websites. This VPS hosting gives you a 1 TB Bandwidth, 2 Cores, 2 GB RAM, and 20 GB SSD. You will also get to enjoy an unlimited number of domains and email addresses, free SSL certificate. What's more, is that you have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- HostPapa: HostPapa is characterized by 4 Dual Core, 1 IP address, 50 GB storage, 1 TB Transfer, 1.5 GB Memory, free registration of a domain, and a free SSL. You can also enjoy their Softculous with more than 400 free apps. Their customer service is available 24/7 to attend to any of your inquiries.
- WpEgine: WpEngine will give you a 50 GB bandwidth per month with 10 GB local storage. Their SSL certificates are automated, and they boast of high page performance. You can select from more than 3 StudioPress themes that come with their services. Their site is transferable, with a LargeFS, and is PHP 7.2 ready.
- SiteGround: SiteGround features unmetered traffics and unrestricted MySQL. You will enjoy other free services: email accounts, Cloudflare CDN, SSL and HTTPS, SiteBuilder, and daily backups. Their customer support is available every time, and you get a 30-day money-back guarantee on your purchase.
- HostGator: This VPS hosting provider features a high-speed server with a 99.9% guarantee in uptime. They have free dedicated IP and Cpanel. You will be able to enjoy their unmetered disk space (30 GB), bandwidth, and transfer, and you can upgrade freely to positive SSL. All at one-click installation. They also provide you with 24/7 technical support.
- Bluehost: Bluehost also offers a 99.9 % uptime with a free domain name for the first year and a free SSL. WordPress installation is just one click away, and you have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- HostingRaja: This VPS hosting provider gives a whopping 40 GB SSD disk, 1 TB bandwidth, 3 GB RAM, and a dual core/2 CPU. You should also know that this VPS service ensures that your site is free of malware and viruses. They offer unlimited emails and bandwidth, with available webspace SSD. They use Cpanel and will also give you a free SSL certificate.
- ResellerClub: Reseller club offers free SSL certificate and Cpanel, about 99.9 % uptime, unlimited email accounts, and unmetered data transfer and disk space. All these at an affordable price with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- iPage: The domain registration on iPage is free for the first year, and you get to enjoy about 40 GB of disk space and the use of Cpanel. Domain transfer and SSL certificate are free, and you can choose from over 1000 free templates that this VPS provider has to offer.
Advantages of VPS hosting
VPS hosting is key to increased customers and numbers of traffic for any particular site. When selecting a VPS hosting, such a hosting provider must perform at the highest possible level because a prolonged site can turn off potential traffic even if the site's content is lovely.
Most VPS service providers combine the power of shared hosting and dedicated hosting, which gives excellent reliability for VPS users. The following are the advantages of using VPS over many other forms of hosting.
- Absolute control: Using a VPS gives you the complete freedom to operate and configure every root access to your specific need. You have total control over the entire server's management, whether you manage it yourself or let your VPS service provider take care of the administration.
- Personalized experience through service selection and other add-ons: Using a VPS helps you personalize your experience by choosing any of the services that suit your need. You will be able to choose between managed and unmanaged plans.
- Dependability: VPS hosting is dependable because different tasks are run independently on several VPS sites without affecting each other's performance. Every other resource being used on these various servers is not revealed to others.
- Excellent performance: There is the better performance when you use VPS hosting for your site because another site cannot slow it down as it is independently running on its own with the available resources that have been provided with it.
- Scalability: It is effortless to scale up or down with VPS whenever the need arises without any form of external interruptions. Scalability offers a significant advantage over many shared servers as you can quickly increase or decrease many of the resources that a VPS comes with based on the numbers of traffic on your site.
- Easy selection of operating system (OS): Using the VPS for your site gives you the ability to choose any OS you want.Many of these VPS will provide you with auto-installer for many applications. Besides, many unmanaged VPS plans give you absolute control over administration and installation.
- Quick creation of the site: With VPS, building your site is now an effortless task, and you can quickly get started on your projects very fast, unlike a shared or dedicated server, which will have you wait and may cause delay and loss of potential clients.
- Affordability: Most VPS are relatively affordable when compared with dedicated hosting. Most VPS providers now charge as low as $10 per month for their hosting services. The price is somewhat lower than the cost of using most shared plans.
- Backups and snapshotting: A constantly inaccessible site is a burden to business growth. Many of this inaccessibility may be caused by the presence of viruses and malware, sudden hardware failure, or possibly human error as a result of file alteration. When your site is continuously offline, this causes a significant loss to your earning potentials.
- Excellent customer service: When you are faced with severe difficulty on your sites, most VPS service providers are always ready to help you out at any hour of the day. They will give you hints on how to go about any significant challenge you have and offer other recommendations that will keep your site running.
A managed plan means that your VPS host will take care of the management of your site's resources. In contrast, an unmanaged program gives you the ability to be responsible for your virtual server's maintenance and configuration.
Some of the personalized experience a VPS will give is automating scenes that can be altered or changed quickly. Many additional services can be added to the virtual server using the same point and click method.
You will be able to control your public IP address, configure a firewall on your site, add a load balancer in front of your server, and you can even build a private network. Most VPS also comes with a connection from your servers to block storage pools or objects and built-in monitoring of your server's health.
These resources include larger disk space, more allotted bandwidth, faster RAM, etc. Resources like this mean more traffic on your site because the page will quickly load, and visitors can easily find the information they want.
VPS hosting has been made with great care for any of these eventualities. In the worst case, your data will be backed-up and protected from any third party. The data backup is aside from the scheduling backups, restoring configurations, and retaining other multiple backups that a VPS hosting will offer you. With a VPS, you will be able to create a snapshot or base template
How to set up VPS hosting
If you are ready to launch your site, be sure to select the best VPS hosting that will give you the experience and excellent service for your site. If you are changing from shared hosting to a VPS, or you are a newbie in the world of VPS hosting, you need to follow the necessary steps below to keep your site functioning.
- Log in to your VPS through Secure Shell (SSH) Access: Apart from using a browser to connect to a website, you can use the FileTransfer Protocol (FTP), which makes you edit, upload, and download various files on your server. The FTP, however, does not allow you to and commands to your server, so you will need the SSH, which provides you with access to a remote server.
- Update your server: Update your server for additional features, type "apt update," and click the "enter" button. Once this has been done, use the reboot command to restart your server.
- Create New User: Now it is time to modify or change the root user you started with while setting up this VPS. Changing the root access is essential because a root user account may cause severe damage, especially if you are not sure what you are doing. There is total access to all your system's settings with a root account, and any wrong command may cause serious challenges.
- Enable Public Key Authentication: Public Key Authentication is more secure than regular passwords. Using this makes you have both public and private keys. You can use the PuTTYgen app to generate SSH keys for Windows. Just click on the "generate" button, then save the private key (keep the public access save).
- Set up your Firewall: You can enable firewall protection against hackers on your site by using the iptables program that allows you to restrict traffics to and fro your server. The iptable restriction is a one time firewall set up protection process and will stop many external attacks.
Once you have done this, you will be able to send any command. The SSH also gives strong authentication and encryption protocol giving high security to your site. Your VPS hosting provider will have provided you with an IP address, the username (root), and password by your VPS provider.
You will need to install an SSH client (e.g., Bitvise, PuTTY, etc.) and execute it. Enter your IP address into the Host Name field, and let the port setting be at its 22 default setting value. Select SSH as your connection type and click on the open button. After you have done this, a command-line window will open up, don't close it just yet.
When creating a personal user account, add a "sudo" prefix to any command you want to run. When you have done this, you can go ahead and set up a password for your account.
You can now log back into your root user account and move from there to the new account's home directory. Then, run commands that ensure the proper functioning of all your set up.
Introduction to VPS hosting
The main thing a VPS (Virtual Private Server) does is provide a viable environment for you to launch your website. By doing this, a single server is partitioned into several virtual parts to ensure that more different users can get access to it. With a VPS, you have greater control over application programs and other installed programs. You also have your operating system installation.
VPS hosting is seen to be an upgraded form of shared hosting, only that there are abundant resources for you with VPS hosting. VPS hosting is now the best choice for its fast performance and budget-friendly cost. Aside from this, you can install many of the programs and applications not supported by shared hosting.
VPS hosting is a better option for many programmers, game makers, and SaaS providers who have outgrown the shared hosting platform. VPS reproduces many of the properties of a physical server with similarities in their functions and processes.
In general, a VPS will simulate a physical server when it is a piece of software that is imitating dedicated hardware, which gives you the benefit of greater virtualization without sharing a parent.
The use of VPS is rapidly increasing across various parts of the world, with India being one of such locations, as various Indian organizations are currently making use of VPS hosting. With the multiple benefits users enjoy from this server, it would be quite necessary to upgrade from the shared server to access more resources and access great flexibility. You can get started with affordable VPS services and enjoy a fantastic work experience.